Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Flop two pair, facing heavy action on the turn

VAFVAF Posts: 49Subscriber
edited January 2017 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
1/3 game
$600 eff.

Villain (seat 9) in the hand is an older man, regular, he has been winning and has about $900. Playing solid tag, usually raising to $10 pre flop and playing fit or fold.

Heron( seat 3) has a solid tight image. Has about $600

Villain raises to $12 in mp, someone called and hero calls on the button with T 7 , blinds call and we go to the flop 5 way

Flop($60) T 7 9
villain bets $20, there is a call and hero raises to $90. Both players call.

Turn ($310) 4 :s:
Villain shoves all in for $500, other player folds. Hero?

Comments

• pokertimepokertime Posts: 2,194Subscriber
    Call. He has an overpair almost always.
  • stayinschoolstayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    I'm not sure pre is profitable unless the caller inbetween in a pretty big fish.

I think this flop raise is a little light. This is a very, very wet board and top and bottom is just not strong enough to raise for value IMO. We may be ahead now but turn cards are likely make it so we are either behind or can't value bet. I'm just going to keep the pot small with a marginal hand and play in position.

Turn is tougher, very villain dependent. I lean fold.
  • VAFVAF Posts: 49Subscriber
    I don't understand the reasoning in just calling on a wet board when we most likely have the best hand at this moment. If the board wasn't wet I can see just calling or min-raising. But with the board being wet, we will get called by draws as well as overpairs so I rather build up the pot to get stacks in
    Thanked by 1Thehammah
  • sivaddivadsivaddivad Posts: 341Subscriber
    I'd fold Pre.. even this deep 107 suited is a little too wide to over call. Even on the button. I don't see anything wrong with flop play. It's higher variance but you can get called by worse on this super wet board.

As played.. fold turn. Unless you have seen him lose his mind with overpairs, which doesn't sound like is the case from the description. To me, it looks like he is super nutted. I don't think you're getting the right price to call. If I had to ballpark a range I would bet you have somewhere between 25%-40% equity right now... you need the high end of that for this to be breakeven. It's a fold.

• squishmytomatosquishmytomato Posts: 352Subscriber, Professional
    how light is he opening to this size? have u seen him go crazy with overpairs?

against a range of t9s, 99, 77 and aa this is a call. if he doesn't go crazy with overpairs it's a fold.
    Thanked by 1Thehammah
  • abstractlsabstractls Posts: 35Subscriber
    edited January 2017
    VAF wrote: »
    I don't understand the reasoning in just calling on a wet board when we most likely have the best hand at this moment. If the board wasn't wet I can see just calling or min-raising. But with the board being wet, we will get called by draws as well as overpairs so I rather build up the pot to get stacks in

I would agree, if we arent raising a board like this then we shouldnt be playing the hand
  • abstractlsabstractls Posts: 35Subscriber
    If he has 99 here I am paying him off, its really the only hand that I am worried about.
  • stayinschoolstayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    edited January 2017
    VAF wrote: »

There are too many hands that can have us beat or have too much equity and chance to improve to be raising flop for value. I don't think there is enough added value/protection from draws to make up for that.
  • ILikeGambleILikeGamble Posts: 89Subscriber
    edited January 2017
    Snap call. If he flopped a set why wouldn't he bet/3bet flop after your relatively small raise? Looks like he has an overpair that was "waiting for a safe card".

If you arent willing to GII here then you shouldnt be calling preflop.
    Thanked by 1Thehammah
  • iamalliniamallin Posts: 1,173Subscriber, Professional
    edited January 2017
    3 bet is better preflop with this junky of a hand.

I agree with stayin that flop raise is thin.

Are you calling a 3 bet on the flop? T7 can't withstand any reasonabe opponent's 3 betting range.

I think we maximize the value of our position by calling more than raising on such a wet board. We can always pump up the action on safe turns and control the pot on dangerous turns.

I juat realozed his bet was 20 into a 6o dollar pot on such a wet board. So yeah I would just raise it on the flop but I wouldnt love it.

If he is a solid player, His turn shove makes little sense. He put in 170bb into 2 players ..I don't think he does this with an overpair if your read is that he is solid.

This one of the worst value hands we have in this spot..we can call with sets and 68 and j8 amd even t9 ...I would fold t7 here.

I probably fold all 2 pairs to that overbet shove.