Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

RTHH. vil makes goating stmnt river w staredown

ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
edited August 2015 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
playing 2-5 1-300. while waiting for 3-1000. ive played 1 hand w villain where i 3 bet his 15 raise to 40 w QQ and slowplayed in Q 5 2 rainbow board.

very next hand i have 430 he has about 375. he raises to 15. i call on btn. bb also calls.

with about $200 in pot and board runs out

A J 7 8 T

he goes all in and to get a read while hes staring at me I ask how much. at first he doesnt say anything but finally announces $275. whick i could see. then says. "youll still have some left. and the white chip ".

i bought in for $400. w one $100 chip in my pocket if needed.

is that to get me to fold or call? talking that much is usually a sign on strength. but staredowns are not

Comments

• tomorrow33tomorrow33 Posts: 485Subscriber
    edited August 2015
    What's your hand? And how did the action go down?
  • pokertimepokertime Posts: 2,194Subscriber
    I'd have to know more about the action but it seems strong since he's trying talking you into a call. When he was staring did he look down to count his chips to answer or did he know and just delay telling you? Staring and not talking is sometimes weak and he could of been using the time to come up with a speech that sounds strong. Depends on how meta you think he could be or is he just pissed you beat him last hand.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    edited August 2015
    he bet pot $45 on flop. then $75 on turn then all in

i just called him. didnt i say? sorry AQ
  • tomorrow33tomorrow33 Posts: 485Subscriber
    Without any other info on the Villian I think it's a fold. Unless he's somehow turning KK or QQ into a bluff pretty much every pre-flop value hand gets there. Most Ax hands make 2 pair, AA, JJ and TT make sets and KQ is the nuts.

he's seen your capable of slow playing a big hand and he over bet jams river so I think there's a good chance he has a very nutted hand.

As for the talking I think a lot of the time it's player dependant. I've played with guys who will either stay quiet or talk depending on who they're trying to get to bet/fold so I think you could argue either way that he's trying to get you to call with a marginal hand or that he wants to appear strong to get you to fold.

Either way for me it's a fold.
  • snapper35snapper35 Posts: 243Subscriber
    edited August 2015

• pokertimepokertime Posts: 2,194Subscriber
    Thehammah wrote: »
    he bet pot $45 on flop. then $75 on turn then all in

i just called him. didnt i say? sorry AQ

What did he turn over? I'm not sure I call w/AQ but it's villian dependent. Is he just ticked and triple barrel all in because he's seen a pro do it on TV? If nothing else he knows you slow played a set and you can easily have an A here. It seems he has to have something unless he's just ticked and putting the pressure on as revenge.
  • TerpHimselfTerpHimself Posts: 328Subscriber
    Seems like a standard fold to me regardless of reads. You beat: A-little suiteds, KK, QQ, 66-22, KJ, QJ...ect.

You lose to: AK, AJ/AT/A9/A8/A7, all the sets, and 9x.

Given those ranges, hard to think he's talking with a hand like KK that he knows is now a bluff.

My guess is he has some kind of 9 or KQs and is hoping you have 2pair+
  • ClockClock Posts: 1,133Subscriber
    wow that's like the worst board ever lol
    You cannot beat anything.
    He'd have to be bluffing with QQ-KK and on that board it seems absolutely crazy or best case scenario tie with AQ and again I don't see AQ shoving river on that board.
    Him talking is really bad sign for you also.
    I think this is a fold all day long.
    I bet he has AJ :)
    Yeah I thought it was a rather bad board too.. Was curious if you all had any thoughts on his speech..

I folded..

guess Ill never know.....
  • High__RollaHigh__Rolla Posts: 798Subscriber
    I think his statement is a sign of strength for two reasons: (1) he is comfortable enough to make a statement which bluffers often aren't. (2) his statement tries to make it easier on you to call. Unless he is leveling - which is rare at this level and you having minimal playing history - a bluffer would not want to make it easier to call, right?
    that was exactly what I was thinking.