Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Bad Line Or Pot Stuck?

Playing $2-5 with effective stacks of $800 against the villain. He has a near zero bluffing range and I've gotten the best of him in every major pot we've ever played. I know he's not going to ever bluff in this spot so what I'm asking here is, in a vacuum, is there a better line to take given the following action:

EVERYONE limps to me in the SB and I have AQo and make it $45. Players react pretty straight-forward to raise sizes like this from the blind and pots are not contested multi way, if even a flop is seen very often.

It folds to the villain who pretty quickly calls in MP2 and everyone else folds. Before the flop is dealt he says "I'm stuck, (my name)." I take this is as, he is just playing to hit his hand so don't try and bluff me. Which to me, is giving me the green light to fire on all types of boards because he is not going to put up a fight. (thoughts?)

Flop ($125) 10 9 4 :r:

I bet $65 he calls fairly quickly. (Now I realize my sizing was a bit small, if I could go over it again I might bet $75-90).

Turn ($255) off-suit J

Since I'm OOP and pick up equity, I figure this is a good spot to double barrel. I also block some of the KQ combo's. I bet $140 and he raises to $400.

I know this is a made hand 100%. If I call I'll have $300 left in my stack that he has covered. I consider the remaining $ to be a freeroll if I hit a K or 8 because he will never fold.

Is there a better line to take?
Should I call?

Comments

• pokertimepokertime Posts: 2,194Subscriber
    The only thing you could really do different is check fold the turn but if he's stuck and chasing your looking for value as well. As played just fold and don't worry about it. PF raise seems huge but if that the way the game is playing I guess it's fine. Bet a little more flop. He's chasing so don't give him good odds. It also means you can just be one and done and check fold turn possibly.
  • SnOwHIOSnOwHIO Posts: 114Subscriber
    In regards to V's comment pre, depending on how much you've gotten into it that particular day, disgruntled villains will put up a fight and get in the mood to hero lightly. People reach threshold and go bonkers sometimes when taking a stand against the "bully".

The raise pre seems standard for games where I play if 6 or so people limp in. If you make it 30 and get one limp call, everyone feels priced in cause they hear the term pot committed way too often to fold and it's easiest to take the pot down HU w AQ.

The bet on the turn depends on what you think he is limp calling with pre. If you think is getting stubborn with garbage 89o, 56s, 85s, J4s, etc. then a double barrel is definitely warranted. If he is calling tighter just PPs and Broadway's, then a check/fold might be in order as the J greatly strengthens his range. It sucks to fold when you pick up equity, but a lot of your "outs" ie a Q or an Ace might be no good, so your equity isn't that great.
  • johnamenjohnamen Posts: 55Subscriber
    Correct me if I'm wrong with this math.

You need to put in $260 to win $800 which is 3:1 pot odds. You need to be good 1 out of 4 times here. If you figure your outs to be any ace, king or 8. (We won't count a Q) you will have 11 outs. With this draw and including the ace as an out we can make a break even call, then he has $260 behind which can mean its a profitable call.

In my opinion,once you picked up that jack on the turn, check for your free card. If he checks back the river, then you can make that same bet u did in the turn but with more information... Truth serum so to speak...

I'm new here and trying to learn like everyone else so criticism is welcome.
  • David ChanDavid Chan Posts: 1,208Pro
    Would like a little more information on preflop action. Was he overlimping behind 1-2 limpers ahead of him? What is his usual range for ISOing limpers ahead of him from MP2?

This will give us a much better idea of what his overlimp MP2/call range is against your large 45 SB preflop raise.

What do you think about his quick limp/call? I am not sure how experienced you are at live tells, but the speed of his limp/call is important for ranging him.

After we have done the appropriate preflop ranging, we can then decide the best postflop course of action.
  • pokertimepokertime Posts: 2,194Subscriber
    johnamen wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong with this math.

You need to put in $260 to win $800 which is 3:1 pot odds. You need to be good 1 out of 4 times here. If you figure your outs to be any ace, king or 8. (We won't count a Q) you will have 11 outs. With this draw and including the ace as an out we can make a break even call, then he has $260 behind which can mean its a profitable call.

In my opinion,once you picked up that jack on the turn, check for your free card. If he checks back the river, then you can make that same bet u did in the turn but with more information... Truth serum so to speak...

I'm new here and trying to learn like everyone else so criticism is welcome.

As David said we need to know more about what the hero thinks the villains range might be. Hero is saying this guy isn't bluffing and has a made hand. In a vacuum I'm also saying anyone that called $45 PF has a really good starting hand. It's very possible he has JJ or TT here. Those would be hands he might just call the flop but then raises turn when it brings a draw and he has a set. Those are also hands someone whose stuck might just limp/call with looking to flop a set because they don't want to lose money with those hands as just pairs. I'm ranging this guy initially on AK and TT+. If he's not bluffing he doesn't have AK. If he has TT+ your drawing very thin and not getting odds. You basically need him to have KK and you hit your A which is highly unlikely since he didn't RR PF. I'm pretty sure your only winning this hand with a straight.
  • mythomaniacmythomaniac Posts: 284Subscriber
    DavidChan wrote: »
    Would like a little more information on preflop action. Was he overlimping behind 1-2 limpers ahead of him? What is his usual range for ISOing limpers ahead of him from MP2?

After we have done the appropriate preflop ranging, we can then decide the best postflop course of action.

He limped over limped over 3 people. He is not aggro and doesn't iso limpers. His range is anything from 34s -AQo.

In a previous session I've stacked off pre with him for $1,000 with AQ vs his 87s. He called in the field, I 3b OTB, another guy shoved for less and he stuck in 200bb with 87s.

I've also gotten stacks in for 200bb when he called out of the blinds with 34s and I flopped top set vs his bottom 2p. He check raised big and I shoved, he snap called.

He only 3b AA/KK and AK if he is in position. He doesn't view me as a bully because I haven't been aggressive at this table yet and we've played together a lot, when I'm in a pot with him, I have value hands if it gets to showdown more often than not.

I decided to bet because his range is so wide he could be giving up a lot on the turn to pressure. He will only raise if he has 2p plus and sometimes he won't even raise 2p on certain boards. This is a spot that gets me a little confused because I pick up equity, BUT it could strengthen V's range.