Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

1-3 Bet/Check Turn???

Cheating ScumbagCheating Scumbag Posts: 17Member
1-3 NL home game, all regulars we've been playing together for 4 years. Villain is the host who is competent who understands relative hand strength, we are $700 effective. I have a winning/lucky image at this table.

UTG limps, I'm in cut-off and raise to $11 with AcJs. Villain on Button calls as does BB and UTG.

Flop Qs10h8s Pot $45, it's checked to me I c-bet $25, villain calls as does BB.

Turn Ks Pot $110, checks to me, I'm unsure if I should bet/call, bet/fold or check/call here with made straight and redraw to Js flush??? I end up checking and villain bets $80, BB folds and I call with the intention of bet/folding a spade, check/folding to a large river bet, check/calling/spew in my mouth to a small river bet.

River 4c Pot $290. I check and he bets $100. We both know that I don't have a flush and I call thinking he may be value betting something worse enough to give me the right odds.

He turns of KQo and I win but I'm still very unsure of how I played it.

So how do you play the turn and the river given my action?

Comments

• ChristopherSigmanChristopherSigman Posts: 1,147Subscriber
    Cheating Scumbag said

1-3 NL home game, all regulars we've been playing together for 4 years. Villain is the host who is competent who understands relative hand strength, we are $700 effective. I have a winning/lucky image at this table.

UTG limps, I'm in cut-off and raise to $11 with AcJs. Villain on Button calls as does BB and UTG.

Flop Qs10h8s Pot $45, it's checked to me I c-bet $25, villain calls as does BB.

Turn Ks Pot $110, checks to me, I'm unsure if I should bet/call, bet/fold or check/call here with made straight and redraw to Js flush??? I end up checking and villain bets $80, BB folds and I call with the intention of bet/folding a spade, check/folding to a large river bet, check/calling/spew in my mouth to a small river bet.

River 4c Pot $290. I check and he bets $100. We both know that I don't have a flush and I call thinking he may be value betting something worse enough to give me the right odds.

He turns of KQo and I win but I'm still very unsure of how I played it.

So how do you play the turn and the river given my action?
    I think the question is, is this the most +EV line to take, given the villain and the situation? Is this villain (or the BB) capable of/prone to representing spades and bluff raising you off the best hand? If so, then perhaps check/calling the turn is best. If not, might as well continue betting! How about on the river? What does your hand look like to villain, JT? JJ? I'm not sure I would be able to put you on a hand that you'd raise with pf, bet that flop, check/call the turn, and check the river with.

So, I don't know about the river play. If you bet the river, I think you should bomb it to look bluffy, like $225 or $250. That still leaves you enough behind to fold if raised all-in, you won't get bluff raised for sure, and you're hand may make so little sense to him that he calls you with one-pair type hands.
  • eselspieleselspiel Posts: 115Subscriber
    Bet, Bet, Bet

Unless you've seen the villain make a big semi-bluff raise on the turn with a naked AsXo kind of hand, all your turn check is doing is giving a free card when you have the nuts but are vulnerable to being outdrawn.
  • Travisp33Travisp33 Posts: 15Member
    I love check/call both streets here vs a villain with such a blatant bet size tell on the river.
  • Travisp33Travisp33 Posts: 15Member
    Actually, I mean c/r river like click it back size when he bets 1/3 pot on river...
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    I dont like the line at all.. I think betting so small on the flop is obvious and you can easily get raised off your draw.. The board hits your opponents calling range pretty hard and with only a gutshot and one over you can easily be blown off the hand. You got lucky in my opinion to just get a call. Then you hit the nuts and you check? I REALLY HATE THIS. So many players in this spot with top two would raise you and you can then decide to three bet and get it in.

So I would have rather seen you bet say $75 -90. He now has top two its very likely he will raise to something like $200 or $250 to "protect" He certainly wouldn't put you on AJ but probably AK.. then you can decide to either click it back or just shove.. I am pretty sure you will be called...

then you get it in with the nuts and a redraw.

Of course of this is assuming you don't think villain has a flush and even if he does you aren't folding. I think you make a smaller bet or check if you think he does have a flush and your hand is much more like a bluff catcher.

Wendy