Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Sands Bethlehem report.. my bi-polar weekend..

ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
I can joke about this because it runs in my family.. but no joke aside I was pretty upset yesterday.. Had a nice chat with Bart and today was very focused on what I needed to do. So here is my report. THE GAMES ARE GREAT! players here are just not as experienced and most are just happy to limp along and then bet when they hit. no really good players..

So what did I do today that I didnt yesterday? Well firstly my hands held up.. but more importantly I was able to actually have these situations happen:

1) I check raised a field better w just a gutshot and one over . His response "Nice bluff"

2) I bluffed a player of of tp when the front door flush came in when I had pair and straight draw and floated.

3) I picked off a bluff on a polarized board with just AQ high

and most importantly 4) I made a concerted effort to bet even more thinly and really plan river bet sizes to get called .. I made alot of smaller river bets to get called based on what I thought their ranges were and got called over and over again.. I must have made $400 or more in winnings this way..

now I still made a few donkey calls on the river but I was able to regroup and remind myself that pretty much no one is bluffing the river.. cept that one guy and that board was paired..

I think I also learned that my flop and turn bet sizing might be just a bit too big and by betting just a little smaller gets the pots bigger on the turn and the villains to start caring..The times I didnt want a call I bet bigger and when I did I bet a little smaller.

I also think I am done with the smaller games. I just cant make the plays I did today at a 1/2 or 2/3 game. too many players buy in for the min and it takes away all of these tools..

ww

Comments

• RogerHardyRogerHardy Posts: 794Subscriber
    Hey Wendy,

By betting smaller when wanting to get called, and bigger when wanting to get folded to, out of curiosity, what approximate bet sizing are you using here?

Roger
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    On flop closer to half pot to get called 3/4 pot to not get called. Turn is def 1/2 pot and river is dependent on what I think their range is .. but I got alot when I bet close to the same amount on turn. I didnt have any " go for gold" spots where I had pretty much the nuts and my opponent had to be strong as well. I will continue to play around with these amounts as I feel its alot more difficult to get value with my basic image.

The good news is because there were times when I was raising alot, I started to get played back at and called more and thats what I was hoping for. But every time at showdown I had the goods! they never saw my bluffs.

ww
    Cool.

I was thinking of doing same to my game, which is why I asked. My bet sizing is a pretty consistent 60-70% pot, and I tend to get a few too many folds this way I think when I want to get called.

I'll experiment too and post back.

Roger
    I should have said 1/2 pot in a raised pot. I still am betting closer to pot on the flop of limped pots because they are so small.

ww
    So let's go through a couple of hypotheticals...

Let's say in each hand you've got KK on the button, 2/5 game, couple of limpers in front, you make a "standard" raise to $25, blinds fold, limpers call. So at Parx its a 2/5 game so $82 in the pot, call it 80 to make the math easy.

Flop 1: 25T all rainbow.
    Action: check, check, hero bets... 40-45 hoping to get called by worse?

Flop 2: 25A all rainbow
    Action: check, check, hero bets... 60 hoping just to take it down now?

Flop 3: 25K all rainbow
    Action: check, check, does hero bets small like 40-45, or just checks the nuts for now, and hope V's pick up something on the turn?

I'm kind of curious what your thoughts are on hand 1 vs. 3. Do you feel by changing your bet sizing that V's will eventually catch on or am I giving them too much credit? And how to balance your bet sizing when you have the nuts vs. just a good hand?

Lots of hypotheticals I know, all thoughts appreciated.

Roger
    Roger

There are a lot of variables to consider. How wet is the board for instance. The wetter to board the bigger bet in general you can make and get called. Also who my opponents are is also quite important. Is he a calling station? Bet bigger.. If he is more conservative maybe a smaller bet..

On the river I was trying as best I could to get any value possible. So I knew villains were calling my turn bet so I just made the river bet a little bigger.. They were getting such good pots odds I think their natural curiosity took over and they called.

ww
  • Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,107Administrator, LeadPro
    RogerHardy said

So let's go through a couple of hypotheticals...

Let's say in each hand you've got KK on the button, 2/5 game, couple of limpers in front, you make a "standard" raise to $25, blinds fold, limpers call. So at Parx its a 2/5 game so $82 in the pot, call it 80 to make the math easy.

Flop 1: 25T all rainbow.
    Action: check, check, hero bets... 40-45 hoping to get called by worse?

Flop 3: 25K all rainbow
    Action: check, check, does hero bets small like 40-45, or just checks the nuts for now, and hope V's pick up something on the turn?

I'm kind of curious what your thoughts are on hand 1 vs. 3. Do you feel by changing your bet sizing that V's will eventually catch on or am I giving them too much credit? And how to balance your bet sizing when you have the nuts vs. just a good hand?

Lots of hypotheticals I know, all thoughts appreciated.

Roger
    FLOP 1:

I'm betting $55-$60 here as a T is not folding right away and you'll get looked up some of the time by 66-99, or a 5.

FLOP 2: Is this bet a bluff? You're not going to fold out an A to one bullet. I like betting smaller and then trying to get to showdown

Flop 3: I always think betting ridiculously small is better than checking. Maybe bet $25

Bart
  • eselspieleselspiel Posts: 115Subscriber
    RogerHardy said

Roger
    Good time for a delayed c-bet against weaker players.
  • TDFTDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
    Bart said
    Flop 3: I always think betting ridiculously small is better than checking. Maybe bet $25
    Bart
    As long as you balance by bluffing to the same amount. I prefer to check to make my checking range stronger.
    eselspiel said
    RogerHardy said
    Roger
    Good time for a delayed c-bet against weaker players.
    Problem here is that even weak players put you on underpair because everybody does this.
    Don't get carried away with this. Always remember that varying your bet sizes according to strength of your hand is theoretically bad cause you're giving away information about your hand. But varying bet sizes according to structure of the board is perfectly fine cause this information is already publicly available.
  • Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,107Administrator, LeadPro
    TDF said
    Bart said
    Bart
    As long as you balance by bluffing to the same amount. I prefer to check to make my checking range stronger.
    I disagree wholeheartedly. We are not playing poker theory we are playing against actual opponents. There is no need to balance when most do not pay attention and don't adjust to unbalancedness. Betting $25 as a bluff wouldn't be the best play if 5s and pocket pairs will call but will fold to a $50 bet.

Bart
    RogerHardy said
    My bet sizing is a pretty consistent 60-70% pot, and I tend to get a few too many folds this way I think when I want to get called.
    In this case correct adjustment would be to bet more often so you win more when they fold incorrectly but not change your betszing.
    TDF said

Don't get carried away with this. Always remember that varying your bet sizes according to strength of your hand is theoretically bad cause you're giving away information about your hand. But varying bet sizes according to structure of the board is perfectly fine cause this information is already publicly available.
    I am not sure that too many of the players were paying attention to my bet size. Also since I dont play there regularly I honestly dont care if I am balanced or not. That said I planned my bet size more on the texture of the board and who I was playing against not my hand. But given my value hands I wanted to get multiple streets of value and so far I havent. so I tried an experiment and it seemed to work. will have to keep at it to see if it was the players.

ww