Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

QQ in the SB at a wild n crazy 1/2 table

It's 4 am and I just sat down at a table with ridiculous action. Guy on my left is visibly drunk - before my last table broke I had heard him shouting at players, dealers and floorperson. Before I was dealt a hand, he just stacked a pretty solid player when he called a 2/3 pot flop bet w a gutterball on the flop and bet/called a shove on the turn when he picked up a flush draw, which came in on the river. On the next hand (my first hand) he stacked me when he called flow bottom pair, turned fd, shoved into my two pair and again hit backdoor flush. Player to his left (V1) is awful, spewy, mid 50s player with an accent who has been raising every hand not raised in front of him. A few regs at the table seem to be getting annoyed and playing back at the two donkeys. Button (V2) is a 55-60 y/o Asian guy who calls a lot of medium bets on flop and turn, but does not seem to do much betting.

After about an orbit and a half, I pick up QQ in the SB after pot gets limped around 5 ways. I raise to $15 and everyone calls. Effective stacks $200.

Flop ($75) 5s7s8d

I bet $20, preparing to fold to any substantial raise, figuring this hits way too many of the sc type hands bound to be in the field somewhere. Instead, everyone calls. My thought is that if the turn bricks, I can make a more substantial bet to get value from FDs and SDs now that they're significant dogs. The flats also make it less likely someone is holding 2 pair + given the wetness of the board.

Turn ($200) 3h

Beautiful card, doesn't seem to change anything - I bet $90. Drunk donkey folds, other donkey calls.

River ($380) Td

Comments

• bobo1384bobo1384 Posts: 145Subscriber
    preflop I would make it larger. In my 1/2 gmes standard open is 10ish and with 5 limpers and also considering my bad position and the fish at the table i'd make it $25ish.

You bet $90 on the turn leaving you with $80 effective, I think you only have one option on the river.

I would bet larger in flop and get it in on the turn. As played, though you should be able to get it in on the turn. Although the board sucks and 78 and sets are real possibilities, The info you gave tells me that one pair or pair+draw hands are huge part of these people's ranges. I just get it in on the turn
  • Yeah, raise to at least $20 here pre. Probably can get away with more and get it down to 2-3 players with a bigger bet. I hear drunk people, no reason to play ABC mode. Start getting in the money fast! Shoving turn as played
  • whatsyourplay?whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    I agree with others. Raise slightly bigger pre in order to get only 2-3 callers, bet flop at least 1/2 to 2/3 pot, shove turn.
  • I would typically bet bigger pre and closer to 2/3 or 3/4 pot on flop and river, but I've been experimenting with smaller bets. My thought is that so many pots where I play get bloated pre because multiple players will call raises up to 9 or 10 BBs, that I end up committing myself on the flop or turn w one pair hands, which just don't rate all that well when 6 players see the flop. Smallish flop bets help me define players ranges as so many players just can't wait to raise when they flop two pair or a set, and their raise sizing and body language usually gives me some info as to whether they are made or drawing before I commit too much.

The large turn bet was because the flop action convinced me no one flopped a monster.

As it turned out, something smelled funny on the river (especially the older guy calling), so I checked, and it checked around. I was sure my queens were good, so I flipped them over. Old guy on the button goes "I knew you had queens, no aces." And flips over KK. WTF!?
  • bobo1384 said

preflop I would make it larger. In my 1/2 gmes standard open is 10ish and with 5 limpers and also considering my bad position and the fish at the table i'd make it $25ish.

You bet $90 on the turn leaving you with $80 effective, I think you only have one option on the river.

I would bet larger in flop and get it in on the turn. As played, though you should be able to get it in on the turn. Although the board sucks and 78 and sets are real possibilities, The info you gave tells me that one pair or pair+draw hands are huge part of these people's ranges. I just get it in on the turn
    I know the one option you're referring to is a shove. It almost seems like a mantra, "Once your SPR is less than 1, you have to push," or "If you're not planning to fold, push it in." I know there are places where this is the case, but I've never heard a really good explanation for this. I think there are plenty of cases where you are not planning to fold but are better off checking. For example, when your opponent is polarized, your shove folds out all the hands he would bluff with and gets called by everything that beats you. Most Vs in this spot are checking back two pair but calling a shove, so why not save what's rest of your stack?
  • TDFTDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
    JeffLisciandrello said
    Most Vs in this spot are checking back two pair but calling a shove, so why not save what's rest of your stack?
    Because most Vs wll check back one pair but might call a shove sometimes and they have one pair more often then two, so it's ok to lose sometimes cause you will win more in the long run. Or something like that.
  • I'd make it at least $20 pre. Lead flop much larger and ship turn. You have 100bbs against a table full of donks. Just bet and get it in.