Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Preflop Raising Size - Online Poker

wildncrazyguywildncrazyguy Posts: 422Subscriber
When I raise preflop online I click the POT button. Reguardless of my holdings of course. Thi sseems to be a good raise size but I get sometimes too many folds preflop but I dont want to raise less than that with multiple limpers. What do you think of this strategy? By raising pot the next caller is getting 2-1, If I raise less than that hes getting better than 2-1 which is too good a price imo. Thoughts?

Comments

• MikeMike Posts: 371Member
    do pot from EP, 3x from mp and 2.5x from btn. Vary y our sizing depending on position.
  • ArenzanoArenzano Posts: 1,464Subscriber
    I am no expert, but i tend to keep my raise sizing about the same with all hands. I play primarily live, but have played a bit on line. I suppose a lot depends on the levels you are playing. If it is at the micros, perhaps most players will not recognize your varying raise sizes or if you are potting it or not. I would think that as you move up the need to disguise your hand becomes more valuable? Thoughts.
  • wildncrazyguywildncrazyguy Posts: 422Subscriber
    Mike said

do pot from EP, 3x from mp and 2.5x from btn. Vary y our sizing depending on position.
    Um WHY you think this is correct would be helpful.
  • whatsyourplay?whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    As always in poker, there are a couple of different factors you should consider when deciding on your preflop raise sizing.

In general, from upfront you want to raise larger than from late position in order to discourage your opponents from calling. As you have more players still left to act if you are UTG, you want to give them a worse price for a call. The reason is that you have to play the rest of the hand from OOP, so you want to reduce the SPR and you don't mind if you end the hand right there.

From late position, there are less opponents still left to act, so you can steal the blinds with a wider range. This should make the blinds 3bet you more. But since you are not able to defend such a wide range against a habitual 3better, you want to minimize the loss when you have to fold vs. a 3bet, so you raise less. Also, you have position for the rest of the hand, so you don't mind getting called that often, and a lower SPR is generally better for you.

However, if stack sizes are significantly deeper, you might want to raise smaller from early position in order to loose less if you get 3bet (with deep stacks, an opponent with position can 3bet the sh*t out of you and it's difficult to defend against, so you need to fold more vs. 3bets).

In contrast, you want to raise larger in position with deeper stacks, since you can build the pot and still have a large enough SPR left to defend vs. 3bets or exploit the opponent postflop.

All in all, a valid strategy would be to openraise 3,5x or 3x from UTG to HJ, raise 3x or 2,5 on CO and 2,5 or 2x on the button.

That's basically the short version. Hope that makes sense.
  • MikeMike Posts: 371Member
    wildncrazyguy said
    Mike said

Um WHY you think this is correct would be helpful.
    Your range is getting wider the closer you are to the button (it should be at least). if you are raising OTB to pot then people that are adjusting should be 3b you a ton since you should have a much weaker range that can stand a 3b. It makes it directly profitable to 3b you everytime you open the btn for pot if you are folding to 3b a certain% of the time.