Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Help me balance being nice at the table without giving away info

RogerHardyRogerHardy Posts: 794Subscriber
edited December 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
All

I know this has come up many times before, but I feel I need an update based on my play yesterday.

Background: winning recreational player at the 2-5 level. Finally got a new day job, so my head is much more into the game now than it has been.

Yesterday I played really well. Was very focused, and was able to pick up on "live tells"/"live betting patterns" to really get into some V's heads, and make plays based on what I thought they were thinking vs even caring about my 2 cards. Listening to Bart's podcasts daily for the last 3 years has certainly helped a ton.

So the game yesterday was your standard rec filled guys looking to have a good time. I'm normally good at table chatter to keep the mood upbeat, but one thing people like to ask when I've raised them out of the pot, is "did you have it? AA right? KK?" etc. And by not answering, I kind of felt like I'm "that guy" at the table, kinda being a dick. I wasn't giving any answers at all, wasn't being mean, just didn't say anything, whether I had it or I was bluffing (which I mixed up pretty well).

By doing that I did feel the mood of the table change slightly downward; but I think it was more than offset by helping me keep my focus, and keep the V's guessing.

So the age old question is, what do you guys do? Any stock answers to deal with it in a light fashion? Just keep quiet? Just answer all questions with " 7 2 off?" Make up a random hand every time? Just proclaim the nuts every time?

All thoughts appreciated.

Roger

Comments

• beauregardbeauregard Posts: 1,592Subscriber
    edited December 2014
    I often just smile and say, "yeah, something like that."
    it keeps the mood friendly yet competitive

other times, I say, "it was a MONSTER! I HAD to bet it!"
    Thanked by 1RogerHardy
  • AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    "ya i never bluff"
    Thanked by 1RogerHardy
  • FreeLunchFreeLunch Posts: 1,311Pro
    "wow - you guys read me too well"
    Thanked by 1RogerHardy
  • JCWJCW Posts: 591Subscriber
    "I'm shy."
    "You're too good for me to tell you that."
    "I think I missed read my hand. I thought I had Aces but I now think I had 63s."
    "Is it that obvious?"
  • workinghardworkinghard Posts: 1,573Subscriber
    "if you couldn't call I had you beat". If you just have a grab bag of responses then you should be OK.
    Thanked by 2RogerHardy Thehammah
  • RogerHardyRogerHardy Posts: 794Subscriber
    Thanks all, definitely a lot of goods, I like the grab bag approach very much too and good job everyone filling the bag.
  • neverlearn2neverlearn2 Posts: 2,862Subscriber
    JCW wrote:
    "I'm shy."
    "You're too good for me to tell you that."
    "I think I missed read my hand. I thought I had Aces but I now think I had 63s."
    "Is it that obvious?"

I give the you are too good for me to tell you line a lot.

• workinghardworkinghard Posts: 1,573Subscriber
    Recs just want to feel that they made the right laydowns. Since I'm bluffing a number of hands I don't mind always confirming that they made a good lay down. But my cards are almost always pay per view
    Thanked by 1RogerHardy
  • hynemesishynemesis Posts: 2Subscriber
    In before, 'Sorry John, I don't remember'
    Thanked by 1RogerHardy
  • ddzddz Posts: 152Subscriber, Professional
    "My memory is so bad. I forgot what I just had."

"Guys, I always have it."

Both said with a huge smile and a laugh
  • ChristopherSigmanChristopherSigman Posts: 1,147Subscriber
    Always tell a rec player/"fun" player whatever they want to hear. If they make what they think is a big laydown and they ask you if you had it, you look at them and nod and say, "Of COURSE I had it. I wasn't bluffing."

When the rec player sitting next to you turns to you after making a HORRENDOUS call-off to another player and asks you, "I had to do it, right? I mean, I was priced in, right?" you just nod and agree. "Of course you did, you didn't have much choice. I mean, you had open-ended, you just got coolered because he happen to have a set."

Against other regs or competent villains, you can fuck with their heads a little, say whatever you want, try to tilt them, whatever. I love getting in the heads of a few regulars in my game - it's some of the most fun I have at the table.
    Thanked by 1RogerHardy
    Awesome gang keep em coming!
  • AJD804AJD804 Posts: 184Subscriber
    I approach the game the same as you, and when this comes up, I always give the same answer:"Good laydown". I tells then what they want to hear, and also technically isnt lying, if you have a problem with doing so. But I will also say that while I like to chat it up at the tables 99% of my conversation is non poker related, and just about anytime Im talking about the game or my play I am lying.
    I agree that 99% of my table chatter is not about poker. I'm a very amiable guy, always nice to everyone, never tap the glass, etc. Yesterday was the first time in a long while that I was zoned in and not talking about my hands at all really helped. But I don't want to be a dick about it either so these are all great ways for me to amiably answer the question without really answering the question and keep everyone smiling.

Although I may try to get into the heads of some of the regulars as suggested above :lol:
  • chilidogchilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    I would much rather hear a made up story than "sorry - I forgot." I find it rude when people say that.
    Thanked by 2kom beauregard
  • floppedawheelfloppedawheel Posts: 1,063Subscriber
    i'll often say "quads of course" or "it's no fun if we all know what we all have!" i dunno, that usually seems to be fine.... but i definitely agree with reed that if a rec player is worried he might have made a bad laydown, never tell him you bluffed him. you don't want him adjusting correctly....
  • multiversemultiverse Posts: 69Member
    Against fish or bad players, i tell them what they want to here. Vs regs or good players, i will give a troll answer or something that will affect our meta game.
    Thanked by 2RogerHardy GhostDog
  • GroundhogDayGroundhogDay Posts: 287Subscriber
    edited December 2014
    I like keeping quiet, as they are doing it to gain information, so why would I comply...However, I do reinforce that they made a great play once action is over...
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    I was thinking this alot on friday when I was bluffing the three stooges all night long. because they pretty much think I ALWAYS have it I just went along with them saying outloud what they thought I had..

like one guy said something like "she got two pair.. or aces " and I would just respond as I was folding my junk hand " ah you read me so well" and just smiled...

ww