Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

What is bad beat?

TDFTDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
edited December 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Can you please give your definition of a bad beat and suck out? Wikipedia is a bit vague on that topic.

Comments

• workinghardworkinghard Posts: 1,573Subscriber
    Loosing
  • neverlearn2neverlearn2 Posts: 2,862Subscriber
    Loosing

Hahah what a true beat.
    Thanked by 1CalgaryPokerGuy
  • FreeLunchFreeLunch Posts: 1,311Pro
    Bad beats are a great source of information as players telling their bad beat stories are happy to let you know how they think and thus how best to exploit them
  • RogerHardyRogerHardy Posts: 794Subscriber
    All suck outs are bad beats, but not all bad beats are suck outs. Example: getting your AA cracked by KK is always a bad beat, but when it happens on the river, that's a suck out.
  • neverlearn2neverlearn2 Posts: 2,862Subscriber
    Last night I battled all night to try to win money in spite of my cards. After 6 hours I was at my starting stack again after losing some all ins vs short stacks and ran my KK to AA to one of the worst players in my room who is one a heater tonight.

That's a bad beat to me in more ways then one since I'm already on a mini downswing.
  • chilidogchilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    Yes , NL2, it sucks to battle battle and then get coolered for stacks by a dolt. But if you can step back a bit , maybe you can see that it is actually a good thing for the long term. Your opponent will now continue to come back to the game and lose more over time than maybe he would have. Better luck.
    Thanked by 1neverlearn2
  • JCWJCW Posts: 591Subscriber
    edited December 2014
    A bad beat is just a threshold. Each person has there own definition of when that threshold is breached. For most it is the numbers of outs combined with the size of the pot.
  • luckyspewyluckyspewy Posts: 299Member
    [img][/img]
  • beauregardbeauregard Posts: 1,592Subscriber
    they way it's discussed where I play:
    a bad beat is essentially when a hand that's favored to win loses to another hand that has low percentage of winning. this can happen at any street. And most of the time, it occurs "accidentally" - because one player was playing tricky or the other was playing poorly.

a suck out typically happens on the river (causing a bad beat) - but was done intentionally.
  • iLikeCaliDonksiLikeCaliDonks Posts: 932Troll
    A real bad beat is when you have your opponent crushed and they get there. Like you hold the nut flush ott and guy rivers a one card straight flush.