Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

AK suited from up front in a 100 BB capped game

GlennJonesGlennJones Posts: 176Subscriber
I'm playing in a 100 BB capped 1/2 game. Table has been pretty loose preflop, with many pots going multi way with 5X to 8X raises. Hero has $150 and looks down to AsKs UTG. If we think that a $16 raise is going to be called three to four ways, what should we be raising to in this spot?

Is limp reraise an option?

Comments

• $25 or limp/shove, maybe. I hate limp reraising but this may be one of the few good spots for it. It's a 1/2 game where people are calling huge opens (standard) and it seems likely it will be raised after you limp. BTW, I'm pretty sure I know which game this is because I played in it for a brief period to get used to live Poker. Sounds the same.
  • GlennJonesGlennJones Posts: 176Subscriber
    Fishcakes - North San Diego County.

I screwed this hand up from the git go. Raised to $12 pre, get called fours ways. Preflop pot $55.

Flop Ts4s2c. In an awkward spot. Pot is $55 with a $138 stack and a monster draw.

This got me thinking about better ways to play this spot under these conditions. Limp/reraise seems to be a reasonable alternative with this hand. I'd be happy taking down the pot preflop, and if called, I still have decent equity if not crush my opponents.
  • whatsyourplay?whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    GlennJones said

Fishcakes - North San Diego County.

I screwed this hand up from the git go. Raised to $12 pre, get called fours ways. Preflop pot $55.

Flop Ts4s2c. In an awkward spot. Pot is $55 with a $138 stack and a monster draw.

This got me thinking about better ways to play this spot under these conditions. Limp/reraise seems to be a reasonable alternative with this hand. I'd be happy taking down the pot preflop, and if called, I still have decent equity if not crush my opponents.
    Why is this a bad spot? You have so much equity that your only concern is to figure out the best way to get all your money in fast.
    If you think somebody will take a stab, then check-shove. If flops often get checked through, just bet the flop and shove the turn. You basically don't care if you are getting called or not, since both scenarios are fine with your exact hand on this board texture.

Regarding your preflop question, you can either
    - raise smaller pre, like 3x or 4x (my preferred option - just because others raise to 8x doesn't mean you also have to)
    - limp-reraise as you suggested (this is definitely an ok play with these stack sizes and table conditions; you just have to adjust once you get deeper or your opponents tighten up)
    - raise even larger pre, like 10x, but I don't really like this a you still end up with an akward SPR often if you get like 2 callers
  • WackabrewWackabrew Posts: 400Subscriber
    whatsyourplay? said

Why is this a bad spot? You have so much equity that your only concern is to figure out the best way to get all your money in fast.
    If you think somebody will take a stab, then check-shove. If flops often get checked through, just bet the flop and shove the turn. You basically don't care if you are getting called or not, since both scenarios are fine with your exact hand on this board texture.

+1. This is agreat spot. I bet $40 on flop and go from there. If people fold, fine; if someone jams, call it off; if multiple people call, jam any turn for your last $100. If more than one person calls the $40, then people will actually be gettiug the correct odds to call off your turn shove if they are on draws, which is a dream scenario.
  • MikeMike Posts: 371Member
    Raise as much as people will call. If someone will call $50 opens with 100% of his range why raise less? Open as big as you can.

Flop seems like possibly one of the best flops you could have to get your money in. I kow in the games i play everyone thinks the PFR has AK so A and K high boards are a little bit harder to get stacks in. Just bet pot and shove any turn.
  • OminousCowOminousCow Posts: 702Subscriber
    I want to make explicit something that folks are mentioning indirectly.

AK is a value hand, especially against this sort of loose table. When you are raising pre-flop, you should be doing so for value, not with the goal of just taking down the blinds. When you flop two clean overs and the nut flush draw, you are also betting for value since you have something like 40-50% equity against 3 opponents. This is great spot and one that you should absolutely be looking to get into as frequently as possible in NLHE.
  • GlennJonesGlennJones Posts: 176Subscriber
    Thanks all!