Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Do I beat anything?

ChristopherSigmanChristopherSigman Posts: 1,147Subscriber
2/3NL uncapped at Peppermill Reno, must move game, 6-handed. My image is CRUSHING! In 45 min, built stack from my buy-in ($340) to over $700. Getting great cards, playing aggressively, and I called down an aggressive player on all 3streets with TPGK to stack him.

Villain in the hand, older guy (around 60?), solid, has about $400. I've been at table for less than an hour, so that's the best I got. :)

Hero in MP raise to $10 with QJo. CO and BTN (villain) call. Pot is $31 after rake and drop.

FLOP: KJJ rainbow. I c-bet to $15. In retrospect, I think I should make it bigger, maybe $25, as a K will still call a larger bet. CO folds, villain calls. Pot is $60.

TURN: 7 completing rainbow. I bet $35, villain raises to $100. Hero?

blurgh

Comments

• coolfish7coolfish7 Posts: 29Subscriber, Professional
    Agree with bigger sizing on flop to go for more value vs K. Once he raises turn, probably all you beat is JT, J9s if he has those. I sort of discount KJ a little not just because combo wise there's less Ks, but in my experience these guys tend to wait till the river to raise hands as big as a FH. I think fold is correct...or shove back turning your hand into a bluff and try and make him fold out a chop or AJ, which they will clearly do at 2/3 Wink
  • UntreatableFPSUntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    I wouldn't fold yet. He probably doesn't have a full house because most players at this level would wait until the river to pop you.

You beat a worse J, and of course the same hand is in his range.

Annoying part about calling turn and checking river is, you'll often talk yourself into calling a small river bet. And a worse J that raised the turn might still bet river.

I guess you can bet about 1/4 of the pot on the river?
  • ChristopherSigmanChristopherSigman Posts: 1,147Subscriber
    Claire said

I wouldn't fold yet. He probably doesn't have a full house because most players at this level would wait until the river to pop you.

You beat a worse J, and of course the same hand is in his range.

Annoying part about calling turn and checking river is, you'll often talk yourself into calling a small river bet. And a worse J that raised the turn might still bet river.

I guess you can bet about 1/4 of the pot on the river?
    I think for a bit and call. I think I may have the best hand, and frankly I just wasn't ready to fold yet. In retrospect, maybe it's a fold on the turn, since he took little time to raise my bet, and he didn't look too scared that there were two J's on board. Pot is $260.

RIVER: 5

I think for a loooooong time (maybe a minute) and check. I didn't know if the river was a bet fold or a check fold, so I checked. Villain takes zero time and moves in a stack of reds with his lone green chip on top, leaving himself a little over $100 behind.

I threw up in my mouth a little.

Hero?
  • UntreatableFPSUntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    How often does he call raises with hands like J9 or J8s?

If he rarely plays these hands, I would probably fold the river because his range would be more skewed towards better J's or a chop at best
  • I doubt at this level that your opponent is raising any street with KJ until the river, so in reality you only lose to AJ. I like Claire's advice to bet the river although I'd probably bet 1/3 pot and fold to a shove. What is his sizing here? $100? SO you have to be good here a like 1 out of 4.6 times? If he was a less solid player, I'd consider shoving. Here, probably just a call.

Bart
  • ChristopherSigmanChristopherSigman Posts: 1,147Subscriber
    Bart said

I doubt at this level that your opponent is raising any street with KJ until the river, so in reality you only lose to AJ. I like Claire's advice to bet the river although I'd probably bet 1/3 pot and fold to a shove. What is his sizing here? $100? SO you have to be good here a like 1 out of 4.6 times? If he was a less solid player, I'd consider shoving. Here, probably just a call.

Bart
    He bet $125 on the river (stack of red, plus one green chip) into a $260 pot, leaving himself about another $125 behind. I puked, called, he rolled over 77 for a (very light) flop peel, turned under full, extracted max value from me. I felt like such a station. I guess I gotta remember, "The old guy always has it!" Cry
  • CrazyCBettorCrazyCBettor Posts: 46Member
    I don't agree with folding the turn. You think he will not raise with JT or J9? Bet/Fold 120 on the river. If I check I am calling a 125 bet but not a shove.