Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Help with equity equation!?

CaseyCasey Posts: 3Member
edited January 14 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I was in a hand and came up with an equity range of 85% versus villains range of 15%

85:15 = 5.6

Can I do the above formula to covert the equities into pot odds or lowest form? And would the answer be 5.6:1 so I would need to be right 1 in 5.6 times to make a correct call or break even?

Or is it that I am winning 5.6 times to 1 I am confused , thanks in advance

Comments

• LatvianMissileLatvianMissile Posts: 294Subscriber
    Equity is how often your going to win the pot against the Villain's range. So if a V has a range of AA, KK, QQ and you have TT, then you have about 20% equity (TT is going to be an 80-20 dog against all those hands)

It's if your equity is greater than the pot odds, you should call. In this example you should always call because the pot odds can't be worse than 1:1, but I will say that if you have 85% equity, you won't be thinking about folding.

The way to work the math is 1/(pot odds+1). So say a pot is 100, and the V bets 50. The pot is 150 and it costs 50 to call so you're getting 3-1 to win. Plug it in (1/(3+1)) and you get 25% pot odds. If you're going to win more than 25% of the time call. If not, fold.
  • kaboojiekaboojie Posts: 518Subscriber
    So when converting your equity to a percentage, you need to add 1 when converting to a fraction ( 2:1= 1/3, 4:1=1/5) This means in your example your equity needed is 1/6.6 or 15%. You last statement is correct. You win 5.6 times to his 1 win.

Equity ranges or range advantages are important to know, but 2/5 and lower (even at most 5/10 games) ppl tend to play unbalanced. For that reason I think your best action is to exploit players tendencies, either specific players or the population tendency vs an unknown. For example, there are some guys who only raise with the nuts or close to it. It’s better to exploit these players and fold more rather than call because you have 34% eq vs their range and you need 31% to justify a call.

Personally, I like to use range advantage against players that have half a clue and think about my hand and their own. For example, let’s say I open 89dd utg and get called by LP Flop comes AKKdd. I am betting or check raising here all day due to the range advantage I have and the equity I have with no sdv.

Another example is mp limps, I raise LP with AA limper calls. Flop comes 678 2 spades and I do not have a spade. If V is capable of bluffing with big draws, I have a pretty mandatory check behind because he has the nut advantage.

This is where I think range/nut advantage can help your play. I would not use the precise % in range advantage to justify my calls or folds based precisely on the pot odds needed. You have to stray from being perfectly balanced at the lower levels in order to maximize your win rates.

I hope this helps.
  • ChaosInEquilibriumChaosInEquilibrium Posts: 38Subscriber
    edited January 16
    Hi Casey, your equity is how often you will win a pot. That's just your percentage of 85%. IOW if you run the trial 100 times independently, you will win 85. You may also convert your equity percentage to an odds ratio (e.g., for comparing to pot odds). An odds ratio measures how often you will win relative to your opponent. Usually this is expressed in the form A:B where B represents your likelihood of winning and A represents your opponent's likelihood of winning. With your example, you will win 85 times to the 15 times your opponent wins, so your odds are 15:85. It is typical to reduce this fraction so the second number is 1 by doing division. 15/85=.17. So your odds are .17:1. It's strange for the first number to be less than 1, but that's indicative of the fact you're a favorite in the hand. When you compare your odds to the pot odds, you calculate the pot odds which are the ratio of pot size (incl. opponent's bet) to bet size. That ratio is always going to be more than 1:1, so you're pot odds will always be greater than your hand odds in this example...so you're always supposed to call any bet size (that's sensical because, after all, you're a favorite to win the hand)