Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Using third person voice in forums

workinghardworkinghard Posts: 1,573Subscriber
I know it's s a pet peeve but I've never been a fan of the propensity of people posting hands of referring to themselves in the third person voice. Eg, "Hero opens from cutoff." why not say "I open from the cutoff?" when people call in to the clp podcast, they don't refer to themselves in the third person when verbally discussing a hand. Why do it when writing it out?

Comments

• MikeGMikeG Posts: 989Subscriber
    I wouldn't say hero always equals the person writing the post, just the perspective you want the reader to consider.
  • workinghardworkinghard Posts: 1,573Subscriber
    MikeG wrote: »
    I wouldn't say hero always equals the person writing the post, just the perspective you want the reader to consider.

I would say 98.2% of the time it does.
  • MikeGMikeG Posts: 989Subscriber
    Fair enough. I don't know what the actual percentage is, but we tend to be most preoccupied with our own hands. I actually like the third-person trend. I think it helps with distancing yourself from the hand and being more critical. I also think that it helps when criticizing the play of others.
  • Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,115Administrator, LeadPro
    Sorry Workinghard.. I am guilty of this too! You should start a poll.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,577Subscriber
    The term "Hero" clearly defines has to make the decision in the hand. It is a lot easier to see than "I".
    Thanked by 1CycleV
  • pokertimepokertime Posts: 2,194Subscriber
    Pokertime doesn't have an opinion about his topic.
  • AJoffAJoff Posts: 546Subscriber
    AJoff noticed he uses first person in the chat thread but 3rd person in the forums.
    Thanked by 1dpbuck
  • CycleVCycleV Posts: 1,196Subscriber
    Hero of this post thinks he has bigger things to worry over, mostly about people who make apostrophe error's.
  • MasonIsAClownMasonIsAClown Posts: 102Subscriber, Professional
    It's cleaner to use Hero. Stands out a lot more then the letter I Makes it a bit easier to follow on forums.
  • FreeLunchFreeLunch Posts: 1,311Pro
    We agree
  • iamalliniamallin Posts: 1,173Subscriber, Professional
    It also has to do with the use of the word villain for our opponent. So hero and villain go in sync and makes it sound more like a story - engages attention.

I raised and my opponent called on the button sounds too bland
    iamallin wrote: »
    It also has to do with the use of the word villain for our opponent. So hero and villain go in sync and makes it sound more like a story - engages attention.

I raised and my opponent called on the button sounds too bland

I prefer when people use the table positon to refer to their opponents. eg, "i raised utg, button called". A complication wiht using "villain" is I forget, esp when there are multiple villains, who is in what positon. "vil 2 calls, hero calls, v1 3 bets, utg folds, V2 calls, hero shoves, blech."

• CycleVCycleV Posts: 1,196Subscriber
    I prefer when people use the table positon to refer to their opponents. eg, "i raised utg, button called". A complication wiht using "villain" is I forget, esp when there are multiple villains, who is in what positon. "vil 2 calls, hero calls, v1 3 bets, utg folds, V2 calls, hero shoves, blech."

This I agree with, er, I mean, Cycle likes this post.
    A complication wiht using "villain" is I forget, esp when there are multiple villains, who is in what positon.
    I'm not looking to call anyone out but here is an example from a posting I just saw that exemplifies this
    Hero (?) check, V2 check, V1 bets $150, Hero (?) call, V2 raises $500, V1 calls, Hero ???