Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Official Mobile Device Thread

Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,115Administrator, LeadPro
edited September 2016 in Low Content Forum
So I have been with Verizon since moving to LA in 2003. I chose Verizon at the time because it had the best phone coverage. But now it seems most networks have adequate coverage and I am rarely using phone for voice.

It seems like Verizon is by far the most expensive mobile carrier and I am wasting hundreds of $$ a year by continuing with them. I'm not on a contract and assume that I can get some sort of deal switching companies to get the new iPhone 7. Wanted to hear about what everyone has for plans and experiences with other companies here. Btw I'm definitely sticking w iPhone as all of my devices work streamline with Apple.

Bart

Comments

• inflection_pointinflection_point Posts: 40Subscriber
    I left verizon quite a few years ago b/c I wanted a flat rate plan without having to watch every single category and wonder if I was going over (i.e. data, texts, and mins). At the time that I switched providers, sprint was the only major carrier providing such a deal (to the best of my knowledge anyway). I have been with them ever since. I've had bill discrepancies with both verizon and sprint where I have to call in and talk to reps who can almost never explain anything to me until I get them to transfer me to a supervisor. Sprint also has both two lifetime plans for flagship devices by manufacturer (the iPhone for life and the galaxy for life). I believe AT&T also has this option too from what I have heard. Hope this helps.
    Thanked by 1Bart Hanson
  • workinghardworkinghard Posts: 1,573Subscriber
    I use a third party called simple mobile. I think they lease t mobile towers. Since i mostly use wi fi and some data but stay mostly in areaa w good coverage, it works for me. I pay 40/month. Places like best buy will have several option where you can just insert a sim card and sign up and you're gtg.
    Thanked by 1Bart Hanson
  • DTMooreDTMoore Posts: 156Member
    edited September 2016
    I'm on Google Fi. It uses the networks of Sprint, T-Mobile, and US Cellular — after WiFi. I upgraded to Fi from Republic and it's now seamless 4G gravy most anywhere I go. I've had it almost a year.

No contract and it costs me $30 a month — because I only use 1GB of data.
    You buy the phone up front, cash. $250 for a Nexus 5X, it's a good clean android. Instant updates, no bloatware.

EDIT: nevermind, I'd skimmed the last part of your post and now see that you're sticking with iPhone. Oh well. I used to have an iPhone and quite liked it, but switched for obvious cost reasons.
  • drew5harkdrew5hark Posts: 580Subscriber
    I'm by no means an expert but I feel Verizon has the best coverage in the places I frequent over the country and that has a lot of value for me as I (and all of us it seems) are rather dependent on having coverage at important times. I think you can save $20-$30 a month for similar service but the extra cost is worth the piece of mind for me.
  • stayinschoolstayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    Have a friend that recently switched to Ting and says he likes it. It's a pay for what you use kinda think. Says it saves him a good amount of money.
  • Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,115Administrator, LeadPro
    Have a friend that recently switched to Ting and says he likes it. It's a pay for what you use kinda think. Says it saves him a good amount of money.

Ive heard that getting a google phone is a good way to go to. It shares networks with several different carries and picks the best signal.

Since I am an existing Direct Tv subscriber I got the free IPhone 7 deal with $100 unlimited data a month. Plus they bought out my Verizon contract. Very hard to beat that.
    Thanked by 1Thehammah