Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Best DEBUT rock album

chilidogchilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
Which do you think is the best debut album ever in the Rock genre? You can define "best" on your own, but factors would include quality, longevity, influence, popularity, or just plain personal preference.
Best DEBUT rock album
  1. Which of the following is the best debut album in rock n roll history?14 votes
    1. Led Zeppelin 1
      21.43%
    2. Van Halen - Van Halen
      14.29%
    3. Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
      42.86%
    4. Pearl Jam - Ten
        7.14%
    5. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?
        0.00%
    6. something else (GFY)
      14.29%

Comments

• chilidogchilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    @stayinschool-
    What would propose ? Keep in mind this is the rock genre.
  • PBJTIMEPBJTIME Posts: 345Subscriber
    How about The Ramones or The Clash?
    What about them ?
    I def think they have their place in rock history , just don't think they qualify for this list.

I like the Ramones (not really the clash tho), but I think a couple factors work against those groups: influence and popularity. Sure each of them has their die hard fanatics, but I'm not seeing the widespread appeal.

I'm not saying this list is My Favorite Albums -- I don't even own Jimi Hendrix, but I think the greatness of the albums on this list trumps the Ramones and the Clash.

Feel free to disagree tho (GFY). :)
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    what about alanis morrisette?
    Damn. Sorry for the omission , hammah.
    edited September 2016
    PBJTIME wrote: »
    How about The Ramones or The Clash?

Peanut-butter-jelly-time.gif
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    chilidog wrote: »
    Damn. Sorry for the omission , hammah.

i have a feeling your really not. #messinwthehammah
  • pokertimepokertime Posts: 2,194Subscriber
    A lot of good bands had a great debut LP so it's hard to really compare as their are so many examples. Pearl Jam shouldn't even be on this list. Even Led Zeppelin I isn't their best even though it's very good. Ramones don't have wide spread popularity? Blitzkrig Bop is in commercials now adays and that's their first LP. Ramones and Clash both have huge followings around the world and are a million times better then Pearl Jam.

The U.K. version of Experiance didn't even have Purple Haze on it but the US version is basically a hit machine and the originator (as far as influence) of heavy rock with big guitar solos. Appetite is up their as well as it had great production and lots of hits. Same with Van Halen I.
    @pokertime did u vote?

I know LZ1 isnt their best work , but it is pretty fuckin good for a break out effort. Revolutionary, profound, and kick ass.
    I don't think anyone can really make a successful argument that the ramones' debut album (I don't even know what it's called) measure up to LZ1 in any of the factors I mentioned.
    @pokertime did u vote?

I know LZ1 isnt their best work , but it is pretty fuckin good for a break out effort. Revolutionary, profound, and kick ass.

I can't. VH I, Guns and Jimi are all LPs I still listen to all the time so I like them equally. I just like taking music. LZ1 is definitely a great LP and a great debut but for me the difference is Guns and VH had and explosive debut and solid continued output but never anything like the first one. Jimi and LZ however continued to put out massive legendary LPs like Axis and Houses of the Holy, IV.
    I voted LZ1 , but I don't think I was extremely impartial in my decision. I agree that appetite and the us release of experience were stone cold profound and changed music forever.
    I don't think anyone can really make a successful argument that the ramones' debut album (I don't even know what it's called) measure up to LZ1 in any of the factors I mentioned.

You need to look it up and you'll probably recognize more of the songs than you think especially if you list to iTunes snippets. (Titled: Ramones) Blitzkrig bop gets played at sporting events today and was in a Bud commercial so it must have some sort of mass appeal. This is where you can't even compare the 2. The are totally different bands but are both legends. Ramones is based in classic American 50's 60's rock and LZ is electrified American blues. And let's be honest LZ lifted a lot of material from other artists. However that was the time, rock and roll was new and everyone was just playing blues riffs with distortion and figuring it out. LZ may also have the best drummer and best guitarist in a rock band of all time so that's something.

I am familiar with the ramones material. I recognize its quality. I just don't think it is in the same ballpark as LZ1. Being in commercials doesn't change that.
    I am familiar with the ramones material. I recognize its quality. I just don't think it is in the same ballpark as LZ1. Being in commercials doesn't change that.

Yea but your saying they don't qualify due to influence and popularity and they have had a huge influence on music and are popular with punks, rockers, sports fans and beer companies so I would say they qualify for the category.
    This is why best of lists don't work. You can't even get 10 people to agree on a list. :lol:
  • BananaStandBananaStand Posts: 1,455Troll
    I don't see how Appetite doesn't win this. Nevermind the opinion poll, just the empirical evidence proves it. I'm not gonna bother looking it up, I'll bet Appetite outsold all those albums by a mile.

Plus I've heard just about every track on that album on the radio THIS WEEK
    Thanked by 1TastesLikeBurning
  • FreeLunchFreeLunch Posts: 1,311Pro
    While I prefer zeplin over all, I had to give the vote to VH as that may have even been their best album and I dont think the same of Zeplin 1
  • drew5harkdrew5hark Posts: 579Subscriber
    Thehammah wrote: »
    what about alanis morrisette?

r u serious?