Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

poker is boring

doubletapdoubletap Posts: 166Subscriber
edited August 2016 in Low Content Forum
just curious what some of you do to pass the time at the tables. i know you have to pay attention, but do you have any other stimulus going on when your card dead for hours?

Comments

• Letmewin1Letmewin1 Posts: 1,244Member
    Pay attention to everything that goes on and try to figure out how you're going to exploit each and every player, take notes.
    Don't see how that's boring.
  • doubletapdoubletap Posts: 166Subscriber
    live is a little different then online where you can multitable and you always have action, and as far as taking notes to expoit each player, this is live poker its not brain surgery
  • pokertimepokertime Posts: 2,194Subscriber
    Quit poker. Open a flower shop.
    Thanked by 1Letmewin1
  • ACKACK Posts: 428Subscriber
    Yeah Poker does get boring. I like to talk to people while I play to make it less boring.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,575Subscriber
    I am only bored when I am card dead, the dealer is slow, and the players are slow. Then I want to oil myself, jump on the table, kick each one in the face so they fly off their chair in slow motion while screaming "I AM SPARTA".
  • FreeLunchFreeLunch Posts: 1,311Pro
    doubletap wrote: »
    just curious what some of you do to pass the time at the tables. i know you have to pay attention, but do you have any other stimulus going on when your card dead for hours?

Not sure where you play, but where I play there are other people to talk to. Most of them actualy want to talk to people as thats part of the main reason they are there - to have fun.

Thanked by 1Lauz
  • LauzLauz Posts: 95Subscriber
    Usually I'll strike up a convo with someone if I'm feeling bored, but a lot of people talk TOO much if you break the ice once. So it's either be bored, or risk hearing bad beat / tournament stories for the next 2 hours. A risky proposition.

I've also been learning that many of the quiet reg kids (21-28 years) are best left quiet. I've been starting conversations with a few to pass the time, and it's often quickly gone south. Strat talk comes out quick, loudly berating recs they've played against in the past, general lack of social awareness, etc. I'd love to make some friends who share my hobby, but it's apparent that a lot of these guys eat sleep and breathe poker 24/7.

So otherwise I'll just try my best to pay attention to each hand, but that's something I need to work on, personally.

I'm pretty good about staying off my phone, as I think that's super important. I only listen to music maybe 5% of the time, and it's when I'm getting sleepy or like next level bored.

I also find that ordering a drink (I like a redbull or a club soda w/ juice) and drinking that will wake me up some.
  • doubletapdoubletap Posts: 166Subscriber
    edited August 2016
    i'm not that much of a talker at the table. i'm not rude or anything, if someone wants to engage in a conversation i'll do that, i just dont go out of my way to strike up a conversation.
  • LauzLauz Posts: 95Subscriber
    doubletap wrote: »
    i'm not that much of a talker at the table. i'm not rude or anything, if someone wants to engage in a conversation i'll do that, i just dont go out of my way to strike up a conversation.

Well it is live poker after all, so there is a large social aspect to it. It's pretty well known these days that being social and likeable is going to be +EV, especially as the games are getting tougher. Many of the good crushing pros in my rooms wear shorts and nice polos, talk sports to the recs, and put off a friendly image. There are a few sweatpants, hoody, quiet pros around, but they are becoming less and less prevalent. Private games are sucking up a lot of rec money these days too, and you will never get invited not being sociable. This is just how you maximize profit these days.

I'd say work on it just like you'd work on anything else in poker. You absolutely do not have to be DNegs or JRB at the table, but try to remember that the recs are essentially paying to be entertained, so entertain them.
    Thanked by 1CycleV
  • FreeLunchFreeLunch Posts: 1,311Pro
    I get that many people are not comfortable or good at talking to others in social situations or that they perhaps have the skill but for some reasons seek silence at the poker table. But I don't see why its not like any other poker skill in that once you recognize a weakness you should seek to improve. If you suck at hand reading you dont just say "well I dont like doing that so Ill just accept lower (or negative) profits."

Thanked by 2Lauz CycleV
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,575Subscriber
    What Freelunch says. Players underestimate the power of befriending people at the table. I usually, mostly, talk to the players on my left. They show me their hands, explain why they did X, give me credit when I'm bluffing, play predictable vs me. And I like chatting with people.
    Thanked by 1CycleV