Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Crush Live Tournament Video No 27. "Analyzing Dan Colemans Hands Part 2"

Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,152Administrator, LeadPro
Two-time World Poker Tour Champion Jonathan Little dissects more key hands Dan Colman played on his way to finishing 3rd at the Seminole Hard Rock 5 million Dollar guarantee.

Episode posts at 2PM ET.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/videos/analyzing-dan-colman-hands-part-2
Tagged:

Comments

• dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,060Subscriber
    Another really good video.

I know that they were shorthanded through the majority of this video, but it seems that Colman was opening every button, and Zazay was 3-betting from the small blind a lot. If you're in Colman's shoes, and you've got the small blind 3-betting a ton, shouldn't that change your opening strategies? It seems like if Colman has been getting 3-bet a lot, he should throttle back the opening with hands like K5, 94, J6, perhaps just limping these hands if he thinks he has a skill advantage over Zazay? Overall, it seemed Colman ended up in some sticky spots by opening and calling a 3-bet with these middling hands and awkward stack sizes.

I guess what I would have liked to hear more from in the video is how to construct opening ranges from the button with these "tournament stacks" of 30-50 BB when facing a very aggressive SB.
  • JonathanLittleJonathanLittle Posts: 19Pro
    edited May 2016
    Dpbuck,

I agree that Colman likely should have toned down the aggression a bit, but at the same time, if he doesn't mind playing somewhat bloated in position versus Zazay, raising makes sense. I am unsure if I would implement a limping strategy in Colman's shoes because the player in the big blind seemed quite tight. There is no need to let him see free flops if you don't have to. I imagine if he was also 3-betting a lot that Colman would have tightened up a bit. I don't think the presence of only one aggressive player should make you significantly alter your strategy too much, given position and deep stacks. Instead of tightening up preflop, Colman seemed to make the adjustment of calling/4-betting more often, which is perfectly fine counter strategy. It increases variance, but it also ideally makes the small blind chill out eventually.

Also, I only showed hands that were particularly enlightening so it is quite possible that some of his raises were getting through.
    Thanked by 2dpbuck CajunDragon