Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

2/5 River Play - What to do????

StevenTediskyStevenTedisky Posts: 4Member
2/5 NL Mohegan Sun, 200 min 800 max, I have $1000 up from $500

I was getting moved to the main game, all my chips were racked up, last hand at this table - 6 handed
Villain1 is large italian man, looks like an extra from the movie Goodfellas who would ask Robert DeNiro to pass the parmesan at the dinner table
Villain2 is middle aged white guy

Hero ($1000): 9s 7s
Villain1 ($400)
Villain2 ($700)

Preflop ($25) : MP limps, Hero limps, Button(Villain2) limps, SB and BB (Villain1) Check

Flop ($70): K T 8 r

Villain1 bets $15, Hero calls, Villain2 calls

Turn ($175): J (backdoor clubs)

Villain1 bets $35, Hero calls, Villain2 calls

River ($225): 4 (non-club)

Villain1 bets $65, Hero ????

Pot has $225, Villain1 has $330 behind, Villain2 acts last

On river dealer announced "Check" on Villain1 who then bet the $65, they called the floor over and decided that the dealer announced "Check" in error and the bet stands.

What do I do with third nut straight?

Comments

• TJTJ Posts: 239Subscriber
    Yes, you have the third nuts, but with the given action, it's almost certainly the best hand. The guy just calling behind you can't have much (or, if he's sandbagging, you have him beat anyway and you're going to felt him), because he just flat called a bet and a call, twice. Villain 1 is your focus, because he's been driving the action. With the stacks as they are, I think a shove is called for here. Villain 1 will be getting about 2-1. If Villain 2 comes along, bonus.
  • WackabrewWackabrew Posts: 400Subscriber
    StevenTedisky said

What do I do with third nut straight?
    Fist. Pump. Jam.

Given the action you are best here like 95% of the time.

Why would you not raise the flop or turn? The absurdly small bet sizing from V1 is tilting to even read.
  • EricIhliEricIhli Posts: 10Member
    Raise the turn. Any 9, Q, A, Pair, or Club will either cost you the pot or cause someone not to pay you off because they are scared you have it. There are also lots of draws and 2nd best hands that will call a turn raise. It would have taken a gutshot to beat you on the turn and I doubt the first guy is betting out with one so you really only have to worry about the guy behind you having one. And your flop call/turn raise will show so much strength that if he 3bets your turn raise I think you can safely fold (assuming he's not the type of player to do this with a set or something. I don't think many people are)
  • whatsyourplay?whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    EricIhli said

Raise the turn. Any 9, Q, A, Pair, or Club will either cost you the pot or cause someone not to pay you off because they are scared you have it. There are also lots of draws and 2nd best hands that will call a turn raise. It would have taken a gutshot to beat you on the turn and I doubt the first guy is betting out with one so you really only have to worry about the guy behind you having one. And your flop call/turn raise will show so much strength that if he 3bets your turn raise I think you can safely fold (assuming he's not the type of player to do this with a set or something. I don't think many people are)
    + 1

you absolutely have to raise the turn!
    Villain's bet sizing is so small that you won't get all his money very often if you don't raise the turn.
    As played, I am shoving the river. Let him put you on a busted flush draw and hero call you.
  • TDFTDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
    Don't limp. Raise flop. Raise turn. Shove river.
  • StevenTediskyStevenTedisky Posts: 4Member
    Hero: 9s 7s

Board ($225): K T 8 J 4

Villain1 bets $65, Hero ????

***** RESULTS *****

Hero raises to $165, Villain2 folds, Villain1 shoves for $305, Hero calls $140

Villain shows Q9 for second nut straight
    Hero loses with 79

Thank you everyone for your input. I've been listening to Bart for a long time and I would think that he would raise this river everytime at this level. I think I made a big mistake by raising to $165 since I have to call his shove for $140 more regardless. Therefore I should just be shoving anyway.

I didn't think Villain1 would ever lead the flop into 4 people with a naked gutterball and I thought that I had the virtual nuts on the river. I got the sense that Villain2 was not interested in the hand at the river so I wasn't worried about him sandbagging whatsoever. I just don't like how there's no room here to bet-fold the river, but my hand is strong enough to beat enough of his "value" hands that I guess I shouldn't worry about that.
  • TDF said

Don't limp. Raise flop. Raise turn. Shove river.
    This.