Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Crush Live Poker Podcast No. 164: Combos in Your head

Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,152Administrator, LeadPro
This week Bart introduces a very easy way to calculate combinations via using simple arithmetic. He then draws upon a few hands that he played from this week and puts that simple math into practice.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/combos-in-your-head

Episode posts at 2PM ET.
Thanked by 1TeamNOsleep
Tagged:

Comments

• StarwarsJediMasterStarwarsJediMaster Posts: 741Subscriber
    thanks for the props bro in the intro, thank you I feel famous to a few of my buddies lol
    Thanked by 1TeamNOsleep
  • RoyScarpatoRoyScarpato Posts: 245Subscriber
    I heard that today! Can I have your autograph SJM?
    Thanked by 1Bart Hanson
  • drew5harkdrew5hark Posts: 580Subscriber
    a little confusion in the sharing of cards when doing combo work....in the example in the podcast where the flop is Q J :s: 9 and we want to give our opponent possible combos of KT (both suited and unsuited -- 16 combos) and T8s (only suited --4 combos) is that 20 combos total or do we have to reduce it because the ten is being used twice?...If we gave our opponent KTo all combos and, say T8o all combos, can we really have 32 combos here.
  • workinghardworkinghard Posts: 1,573Subscriber
    do we have to reduce it because the ten is being used twice
    You don't reduce it because you are not saying an opponent can have both KT and T8 simultaneously. If you were to say "I know one opponent has some combo of KT", then you would reduce the T8 suited combos another opponent could have because both opponents can't hold the same T. A common example where you need to not double count cards would be counting flush and straight outs. If you had KQ clubs and flopped J T 5 :s:, you would have 15 outs instead of 17 outs (8 for straight plus 9 for flush) because you can't count the A or the 9 twice as both a flush and straight out.
    Thanked by 1drew5hark
  • PhilippPhilipp Posts: 55Subscriber
    Thx a lot! I actually think stoving in your head and counting combos will seperate the standard regs and the great regs. This kind of stuff makes a huge difference in the long run!
    And it isnt even that difficult. Sure nearly nobody is doing it in live games.
  • md_donkmd_donk Posts: 25Subscriber
    Bart,

Excellent podcast.

Two questions about the end of QJ9 hand discussion.

1. When you are computing your odds for peeling one card, you used 45:6 as your odds. This won't change the final decision, but because of the dead Jack it's actually 44:6, no? To take it one step further, the V who folded the J certainly didn't have a Q and almost certainly didn't have a 9, so you really could subtract both his hole cards to make it 43:6 This only brings the odds down to 7.16:1, but it is a difference.

2. Perhaps this was just a misstatement, but you mentioned you needed 6.5:1 to call. But the $$ was just over 3:1, so wouldn't you need approx 3:1 pot odds to peel one card? If it wasn't a misstatement, how did you compute needing 6.5:1 to call?

Thanks!