Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Play along-how bad did i play this hand? (2-5, $500 Capped @ Borgata)

MerrillmanMerrillman Posts: 8Subscriber
villain is competent Asian guy. He Went to show down numerous times with only premium hands. He was ahead of me all day and re-raising me with better (must admit). I sensed he was overvaluing his pocket pairs-had seen him to go to showdown with under-pairs.
effective stacks are $600.
I open raised raised from middle position with Ad6d to $20, he raised from the cutoff to $60.
folded to me and I called. Pot is $127.
Flop is As8d8h.
I lead out for $50 and he raised to $140, I called, pot is $407.
Turn is 8s.
Check, check
River is 2h
I check and he moves all in for remaining $400.
I could not figure him for 8x, beat all under pairs (kk, qq, etc.), and chopped with all Ax hands.
I called and did not think he would show up with AA. (A on board and A in my hand)
let's have it............

Comments

• ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    1) You said he was a good player
    2) He has position on you
    3) You said he wasnt raising with crap hands
    4) You lead on the flop and he raised you

what else do you need to know? This is such and easy fold preflop I am unsure as to why you would WANT to play with him. If he has KK you really think you are going to get a lot of value from him when an ace flops?

Just fold pre.. but you already knew that..

ww
  • Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,113Administrator, LeadPro
    Besides the fact that this is generally an unprofitable call preflop in a reraised pot, why are you leading flop? Seems like a spot that I might always check unless there is enough history where I am betting to induce a raise and am never going to fold. On the river it would seem like a suicidal bluff and I'd expect most times to only chop. However, you're calling $400 for $200 and basically only need to be right 66% of the time.

Bart
  • JerseyJayJerseyJay Posts: 181Subscriber
    Effective stacks are only $600 and you are only getting 15x implied odds which is not nearly enough. You'll be up against a competent tight player, OOP, with hand that only plays well multiway with big implied odds; so the opposite of this situation. Easy preflop fold. I could see being tempted to call here I guess, so as played, I probably just check call flop. What is your motivation in leading? To induce a raise? Get value from worse? There are no draws to protect your equity against. If he raises you kind of have to fold, as he is telling you he has a bigger ace, since you just told him you have an ace. Turn is fine. River is probably a call for a chop. If your read is he it tight and likes pocket pairs, there's barely any 8's in his range.
  • whatsyourplay?whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    you can't call a 3bet with A6s OOP with these stack sizes. If he has a strong/balanced 3betting range, you have to fold. If he 3bets you light often, you can consider 4betting as a bluff. But flatting is burning money.