Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Advice on preflop & flop play with a PP 1/2 prior to the game busting for the night.

GallmanGallman Posts: 70Subscriber
NL 1/2 home game late in the night. I am stuck about 170bbs and have 10's in the cutoff. 7 handed and one late position limps and Hero makes an raise to $10 in the cutoff with 10's. SB raises to $26 and it folds back to me and I call. [any thoughts here?] Effective Stacks are $335.

The villian is a very competent player and can raise with any two suited gappers, any pocket pair, and KQ suited +.

Flop comes down 7h, 6h, 2c and villian bets out $30. I min. raise to $60. [any thoughts on my best line here, as if the villain has any overpair I want to find out. Wouldn't most players in the villians spot reraise here thinking that since I did not reraise preflop I most likely have a hand like any pocket pair up though QQ]

Comments

• edogedog Posts: 43Member
    Stuck $3,400???

What is your perceived range?
  • jmcjmc Posts: 58Member
    Gallman said

NL 1/2 home game late in the night. I am stuck about 1700bbs and have 10's in the cutoff. 7 handed and one late position limps and Hero makes an raise to $10 in the cutoff with 10's. SB raises to $26 and it folds back to me and I call. [any thoughts here?] Effective Stacks are $335.

The villian is a very competent player and can raise with any two suited gappers, any pocket pair, and KQ suited +.

Flop comes down 7h, 6h, 2c and villian bets out $30. I min. raise to $60. [any thoughts on my best line here, as if the villain has any overpair I want to find out. Wouldn't most players in the villians spot reraise here thinking that since I did not reraise preflop I most likely have a hand like any pocket pair up though QQ]
    Woah... wtf? You're seriously playing with someone who's a competent player and is 3-betting you with 10~13% of his hands?

If villain seriously has that wide of a pre-flop range, TT is extremely strong -- 4-betting for value starts making sense depending on how he reacts to 4-bets.

Also, if someone limps and you raise in the CO, I'd say he was limping in mid-position (and not late position).

As played, I think flat-calling the flop makes sense. You'd like him to keep bluffing (if he is bluffing), and not allow him to play perfectly with his unpaired overcard hands/overpairs.
  • PokerIsFrustratingPokerIsFrustrating Posts: 657Member
    Even if villain is really that wide I think flatting can be ok. We crush his range and I'm assuming he's going to fold his crap hands if we 4b anyway.

Min raise on the flop IMO is very bad. What are you trying to accomplish? Better hands are never folding. If he has a small PP that you dominate he might fold. Something like AK probably folds, but might call given the weird play. You might also induce some kind of bluff. If he has a big draw he might come over the top as well.

My preferred line would be call flop, call turn (assuming a brick), and then if he bets river try to get a live read/evaluate the bet.

You should really never raise to "find out where you're at" in poker ever. You can usually get the same information by just calling and seeing what people do on future streets. You should typically raise for value (if you think he'll call with worse hands) or as a bluff (if he'll fold better hands).

If you make a raise where if you are called, you're scared and now you want to give up and not bet - you probably made a mistake.
  • whatsyourplay?whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    PokerIsFrustrating said

Min raise on the flop IMO is very bad. What are you trying to accomplish?
    +1
  • GallmanGallman Posts: 70Subscriber
    edog said

Stuck $3,400???

What is your perceived range?
    Error in my post, should have been 170bbs or $340.
  • GallmanGallman Posts: 70Subscriber
    Let's turn this hand around and say that we are now in the villians spot and the hero with 10's is now the villian. How do we proceed if say we have QQ+ or if we have AK off? I think seeing both sides of this hand would make things much more clear for me on how to proceed in some of my games.

Also, I see that no one has addressed the issue of if play would be different knowing that one is going to be ending there session with in an hour or less. Weather being down or up?
  • TDFTDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
    Gallman said
    Also, I see that no one has addressed the issue of if play would be different knowing that one is going to be ending there session with in an hour or less. Weather being down or up?
    Ending your session should not have any affect on your play. Your play depends on your opponents ranges so if they change because of session ending than you should adjust accordingly.