Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Apparently I'm a Better Teacher Than Player

TomBayesTomBayes Posts: 81Subscriber
edited June 2015 in Las Vegas and WSOP
So I'm a college professor and a "recreational" poker player. Last year, I played my first two WSOP events and was able to make a final table in the $1500 NL 2-7 Lowball event (finishing 4th). If you don't know me, I tend to prefer draw games and mixed games in general.

I entered this year's $1500 Lowball as well. Here's how it went:

A man named Christian Pham just won the $1500 NL 2-7 Lowball bracelet. I played in the tournament and sat next to him on Day 1.

(Captain Tom Franklin in #1 seat, me in #2, Pham in #3)

Get to first break with 7350, basically starting stack.

This is when we are introduced to Confused Asian Man With The Fedora (CAMWTF). He sits in #3, has a WSOP schedule in his hand, and is wondering if it's triple draw? Eh, it's single draw. He seems totally bewildered and I'm wondering how in the fuck this guy got here.

First hand CAMWTF plays:

CAMWTF raises UTG, Franklin calls from SB, I fold.

Both draw 1.

Franklin checks, CAMWTF bets, Franklin folds.

CAMWTF shows 7543A and asks if it's a good hand. Franklin says afterwords he's sure CAMWTF kept the Ace and drew another card based on his card handling. I'm pretty sure Tom paired high or would have looked him up.

Next hand CAMWTF plays:

Old man in Seat #7 raises from UTG+1 CAMWTF defends from button. Both draw two. Old man bets out. CAMWTF raises. Old man folds trip deuces face up and goes “What in the hell could you have?” CAMWTF turns over 75432 (the nuts in deuce-to-seven). Old Man can't see and asks “What's he got?” I say “Just the nuts”. CAMWTF seems perplexed that he had the nuts.

Between hands, CAMWTF takes out a piece of paper and writes down “23468” and “23459” and asks me which hand would win. LOLZ is this real? I do answer the question honestly.

I bust around end of Level 4 (not to Pham).

Then I log into wsop.com the next day. Imagine my surprise when I see the photo of the chip leader!

So Confused Asian Man With The Fedora that didn't understand how 2-7 works is now Happy Asian Man With The Fedora and eventually Happy Asian Man With The Fedora And The Bracelet. (HAMWTFATB).

http://www.wsop.com/tournaments/update/H6L/christian-pham-takes-massive-chip-lead-to-day-2-of-1500-no-limit-2-7-single-draw/

http://www.wsop.com/tournaments/update/HXX/christian-pham-wins-event-23---1500-no-limit-2-7-draw/

I guess that's why I'm a professor and not a professional poker player. Those who can't do, teach!

Comments

• dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,060Subscriber
    Holy cow. You can't make this s*** up...
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    I saw a tweet from sharkslayer basically saying the same thing.. that this guy was from minnesota ( I think) and had never played 2-7 before.. lol..

ww
  • Jack7777Jack7777 Posts: 655Subscriber
    One observation I made was anybody with the entry fee can play in these events. It doesn't matter what skill level they have. There were 22,000+ in the Colossus @565., but the $1500+ tournaments were not so crowded. A lot of the players in the MM couldn't beat a 2/5 game consistently. They just were willing to put up $1500.
  • thirdeye42thirdeye42 Posts: 1Subscriber
    I have played with him before in NLH tournaments in MN. He is a very good poker player with good results and obviously picked this game up pretty quickly.
  • Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,152Administrator, LeadPro
    Jack7777 wrote: »
    One observation I made was anybody with the entry fee can play in these events. It doesn't matter what skill level they have. There were 22,000+ in the Colossus @565., but the $1500+ tournaments were not so crowded. A lot of the players in the MM couldn't beat a 2/5 game consistently. They just were willing to put up $1500.

A lot of guys that play 10ks can't beat a 2/5 game in a regular basis.

• chilidogchilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    I was gonna say the same thing, Bart.

I have wondered what % of players who play 2/5nl on a regular basis can / do beat the game. (Let's say regular basis means at least 3 times per month).
  • HavaxHavax Posts: 65Subscriber
    Bart wrote: »
    Jack7777 wrote: »

A lot of guys that play 10ks can't beat a 2/5 game in a regular basis.

Can confirm this is true. I know a guy that has scored big several times in tournaments and I asked him how often he plays cash and he said "literally never". He hasn't scored in quiet a while and I figure he just had a heater. Is being a 100% tournament professional ever profitable? I think it's pretty impossible unless you're like in the top 0.5% of the player pool or something, right?

• beauregardbeauregard Posts: 1,592Subscriber
    so much for poker being a game of skill!
    Thanked by 1MrFizzbin
  • TomBayesTomBayes Posts: 81Subscriber
    Bart, I can make a 3 minute video on Crush Live Lowballaments
    1. Buy a fedora
    2. Sign up for the tournament
    3. Show down a hand with an Ace in it
    4. Remember, 23468 > 23459
    5. Bracelet! EZ Game!

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/13076726/christian-pham-accidentally-enters-wins-world-series-poker-event

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/minnesota-mans-mistake-leads-to-winning-pokers-top-prize/ar-BBl81PV?ocid=AARDHP