Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

AK against monkey

UntreatableFPSUntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
Villain is a very loose pre, a bit of a monkey and not a good hand reader. After playing with him for a while, I determined that he almost always bets the turn when the flop gets checked through no matter how many people are in the hand and how wet the board is, and sometimes also follows up with a river bluff. I successfully bluff raised his turn bets a few times because of the frequency he has air

Villain limps UTG (which could mean top 40% of hands)
Decent reg overlimps
Hero has AcKd in MP and raise to 25
Folded around to villain who calls

Flop ($62)
6s 4s 3s
Check
Check

I was pretty much going to give up here. He was likely to do something funny if I cbet, and I have nothing

Turn
Kh
Villain bets $40
Hero calls

River
Tx
Villain bets $80
Hero calls

The jackass says "straight" and shows 78o
Wtf? That's not a straight...
I don't fall for it and pay attention before I muck

Pretty standard? Was I supposed to raise the turn if I hit my K and fold to a turn 3-bet? Also, it helps balance my turn bluff raising range if I raise with one pair. Or do I just call and let the idiot keep betting?

Comments

• UntreatableFPSUntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    I was actually going to raise the turn if I had nothing and call if I had something, and he would probably fold when I had nothing and keep bluffing when I had something. But maybe he got sick of me raising turns on him so I was supposed to raise for value when I actually had something and he would continue with worse? I've stolen about $400 of pots in the time we were playing together just by bluff raising turns against him, and I got the sense that he was getting kind of annoyed.
  • If you're read is that he bluffs a lot of rivers as well then ya call turn and let him barrel river. Looks good to me. Also don't worry about "balancing your turn bluff raising range" lol
  • UntreatableFPSUntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    I'm probably the single most balanced live player you'll ever see at any level below 5/10 on the planet lol

I think liking to be balance is a bit of a mental thing, even though I've been told over and over again that it's completely unnecessary. But maybe I'm practicing so that I'll remain balanced in the higher levels.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Yeah I dont think you need to balance either.. Since the board is so wet and so many players think you are going to cbet any flop he could have a pretty big hand. I would tend to take the more conservative line and call the bet on the turn. This is IF the bet seems like a normal size. If the bet is tiny in comparison to the pot, then I am going to raise since this is more often just a block bet for someone drawing to the nuts.. As..

villain bet half pot so he probably has a pair smaller than the K and maybe a spade.. I dont think you get a ton a value from anything other than a K , As or maybe the Ks. If you havent seen him limp and just call with high cards then its pretty hard for him to have A or Ks that has anything other than a baby kicker..

If he bombs the river I am probably folding..

This villain might have misread his hand and thought he had 75.. thats why sometimes we cant play perfect because we are reading our opponents and they dont even know what they have.

wendy
  • regfishregfish Posts: 34Member
    Claire said

I was actually going to raise the turn if I had nothing and call if I had something, and he would probably fold when I had nothing and keep bluffing when I had something. But maybe he got sick of me raising turns on him so I was supposed to raise for value when I actually had something and he would continue with worse? I've stolen about $400 of pots in the time we were playing together just by bluff raising turns against him, and I got the sense that he was getting kind of annoyed.
    Given dynamics raise fold the turn seems best. People start to get curious when you keep winning without showing down. That coupled with the fact that most players are flawed towards calling too much not folding too much. He may come back over on the turn some since he's getting frustrated by prob. not enough to make calling his turn bet superior to raising.