Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

CLP Video No. 186: Good Bluffs: Hand-Reading Weakness And Representing Strength

CLP_CraigCLP_Craig Posts: 776Administrator
Good bluffs rely first and foremost on hand-reading opponents for weakness and then secondly on representing strength well.

Episode Posts At 11 AM PT.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/videos/good-bluffs-hand-reading-weakness-and-representing-strength
Tagged:

Comments

• GonzoPokerGonzoPoker Posts: 38Subscriber
    tits great job David
  • gbeth84gbeth84 Posts: 17Subscriber
    edited April 2015
    Hi David Chan,

Great video! I have 2 questions pertaining to the last hand where Shaun holds the Jd9d.

1) Wouldn't it be better for Shaun to take a higher-fold-equity line on the turn i.e. check-raising? I have heard Bart talk about taking the max fold equity line when you have a draw.

2) Would you still barrel the turn card (if you were Shaun) if more than 1 person had called the flop? Or would you rather check with the intention to call a bet? It seems to me that it will hard to get 2 or 3 people to fold the turn.

Thanks

P.S. I think a third point for good bluffs is picking your target correctly, as some people just won't fold no matter how weak their hand strength is or how strong your hand looks.
  • David ChanDavid Chan Posts: 1,208Pro
    gbeth84 wrote: »
    1) Wouldn't it be better for Shaun to take a higher-fold-equity line on the turn i.e. check-raising? I have heard Bart talk about taking the max fold equity line when you have a draw.

2) Would you still barrel the turn card (if you were Shaun) if more than 1 person had called the flop? Or would you rather check with the intention to call a bet? It seems to me that it will hard to get 2 or 3 people to fold the turn.

Thanks

P.S. I think a third point for good bluffs is picking your target correctly, as some people just won't fold no matter how weak their hand strength is or how strong your hand looks.
    1. Regarding J9dd and CR the turn instead of double barrel turn OOP, I prefer simply double barrel bluffing the turn against most opponents. In my experience, the turn is going to get checked through very often, and if the turn gets through because Villain is playing for a small pot with Tx or a weaker pair, then you will often lose on the river when you brick out because Villain will often call river lightly on a blank with a hand that we would often have just folded on the turn. For CR the turn to be more +EV than simply double barrel bluffing the turn, you would need to be confident that Villain is betting turn very often EITHER as a monkey bet with a weak bet AND/OR as a stab/bluff with his weakest hands/air (in that case, you prefer to CR turn to win a bigger pot after he stabs)

2. Multiple calls don't necessarily make it less profitable to semi-bluff the turn. Sometimes, the presence of a player behind will make the player in the middle more likely to fold a marginal hand like a weak Tx to a double barrel bluff because he is getting "squeezed." Now, when there are multiple calls, it is more likely that someone might keep calling with a draw, but that's OK as long as you understand how to triple barrel bluff them off a busted draw on the river.

3. I definitely agree about targeting Villains with fold button as opposed to Villain who don't have fold buttons.
    Thanked by 1Baggio95