Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

CLP Podcast No.119: Min Raise Tipping

Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,109Administrator, LeadPro
edited January 2015 in Crush Live Poker podcast
This week Bart discusses min raises in multiway pots, how strong they are from short stacks and how we can maximize our value by min raising turns with one pair, probable best hands as the pre flop raiser. He also discusses his approach to tipping dealers.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/min-raise-tipping
Tagged:

Comments

• PocketAceTrader782PocketAceTrader782 Posts: 441Subscriber
    edited January 2015
    Great podcast Bart. Thanks for the analysis on the call in show and the added info here regarding my 6-8 of spades hand from LATB.

Carmine
  • eyedunnoeyedunno Posts: 215Subscriber
    Great podcast Bart. Thanks for the analysis on the call in show and the added info here regarding my 6-8 of spades hand from LATB.

Carmine

I'm curious... If villain in this hand takes a Bet/Bet/Bet line does that change Heros river play?

Obviously with the pot a little smaller there is room to Raise/Fold (I think) but does villains range change enough with this different line that the river is ever a Raise/Call? I think the answer is no, but would like to hear the analysis on this scenario.

Thanks!!

• PocketAceTrader782PocketAceTrader782 Posts: 441Subscriber
    edited January 2015
    /
    eyedunno wrote:

Carmine

I'm curious... If villain in this hand takes a Bet/Bet/Bet line does that change Heros river play?

Obviously with the pot a little smaller there is room to Raise/Fold (I think) but does villains range change enough with this different line that the river is ever a Raise/Call? I think the answer is no, but would like to hear the analysis on this scenario.

Thanks!!

I think if he takes a bet/bet/bet line I am always raise folding the river. Don't think he is bet/3 betting with any hand I can beat. But still think I can raise/fold for value because amount behind will be more and there won't be the added chk raise on the turn element. Most of the time with a bet/bet/bet line (as pre flop raiser) his range is weighted towards over pairs or strong top pairs. But if he comes back over the top, I put him on nuttish type flushes or a boat.

Carmine
  • YoungGrinderYoungGrinder Posts: 210Subscriber
    Thought I'd comment from a former dealer's perspective on your thoughts regarding what a dealer prefers:

I think it highly depends on the numbness of the dealer to the rough treatment.
    After my first few months dealing, I could handle constant shit talking/card throwing and would much rather have annoying players tipping me well then a professional who tips less yet is friendly. At the start of dealing though, I certainly would prefer to have professionals who treated me respectfully and tipped less.
    Just like poker, it just depends.

Great podcast!
  • NEONEO Posts: 46Subscriber
    Bart- In the last hand where you take a "stack a donk" line by check/raising the turn card as the preflop raiser, how do we react if our opponent 3-bets our turn check raise?

Also, since this is live poker, I realize we don't have to worry about balancing that much, but how often could we make this play until it becomes exploitable? Do we ever take this line against a good player at the table?

Thanks.
  • Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,109Administrator, LeadPro
    NEO wrote:
    Bart- In the last hand where you take a "stack a donk" line by check/raising the turn card as the preflop raiser, how do we react if our opponent 3-bets our turn check raise?

Also, since this is live poker, I realize we don't have to worry about balancing that much, but how often could we make this play until it becomes exploitable? Do we ever take this line against a good player at the table?

Thanks.

Well obviously the situation is going to depend on the player but usually when someone 3 bets a turn check raise one pair is rarely going to be good. If you are suspect however you can play a game of 5th street chicken at the end from OOP.

And yes, I like taking this line against a good player especially when, if the good player has top pair, he blocks top set and many players would only make this move with top set.

Bart
  • CajunDragonCajunDragon Posts: 173Member
    I agree with Bart in this podcast... It's strange how things come in waves. I put in a 7 hour 1-3 NL 100-500 session yesterday and ended up making TPTK 5 times after being the PFR. Each time I had to fold TP (correctly) and was constantly getting bested by 2 pair+ hands.

This bet-folding is pain staking to do when your in a 100BB game and half your stack is in the middle. The games have been playing so face up lately here that you can pretty much fold one pair in a multi way pot to any raise and you'll be correct. The bluffing frequencies of the Vegas 1-3 tourist on turn/river are < 5%

It still feels nasty to fold so I usually convince the villain to show his hand so I'll take some comfort in the Sklansky/Galfond bucks I've made. A day like yesterday I think a normal rec player would be down 4-5 buy-ins when I was able to get off by losing only 2 due to the CLP training.

Q: What do you guys think of paying someone $1 to show after you make a difficult fold? Wasted money or worth it for peace of mind?

Geoff
  • GhostDogGhostDog Posts: 328Subscriber
    edited March 2015

Q: What do you guys think of paying someone $1 to show after you make a difficult fold? Wasted money or worth it for peace of mind?

Geoff

I think it's more of a personal mindset thing, but a leak at the end of the day. IMHO we ideally should be confident enough in ourselves as winning players for it not to even matter. Our minds should be at peace knowing that in the long run we make our expectation. Giving away even $1 every now and then for that peace is giving away some of our expectation.