Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

WSOP Circuit Event-Hand with Jerry Yang

dapperdavedapperdave Posts: 26Member
2-5. Jerry has about 1300, I had about 350 at that point.

Everyone limps in. I complete from the big blind with Jh 8h.

The flop is 9h 8s 7h. Everyone checks to Jerry (he was MP 3) and he makes a pot size bet of 30 dollars (There were about 6 limpers in the hand). I call. The turn is 3c. Jerry makes a bet of $55 dollars. I decide to make it $125. Jerry thinks for about for 5 minutes then puts out enough to put me all in. I call. The river is an Ace ( I brick). Jerry flips over Ts 9d.

Question-should I have raised the flop or was my turn raise fine? In hindsight, I think the results would have been the same.

Comments

• OminousCowOminousCow Posts: 702Subscriber
    I think you are representing a much stronger and more realistic range of hands if you check raise this flop to something like $100 (and go with it if he shoves). Taking the line you did represents very little since most of the very strong hands on this board will either lead the flop or check-raise. By check-call, check-raising you are repping an absurdly narrow value range of something like JT, 6h5h, 6hTh (especially with the small turn check-raise). It may well be possible that your actual check-call, check-raise range is strong, but Jerry has no way of knowing that and so will most often put you on a hand like the one you had.
  • shmedshmed Posts: 321Subscriber
    +1 om. Also since Jerry is leading into 6 person limped pot, he probably has a made hand better than your 8's (probably a 9 or 2 pair, even a flopped straight is possible). I think you are relying on FE both if you choose to check raise the flop or on the turn.

But with your stack size, I don't really think you have much FE equity against him, and moreso on the turn since the he's already seen a brick come off.

Also, look what happened to your equity from the flop to the turn (obviously you don't know exactly what he has on the flop so this is in retrospect, but a reasonable proxy hand if you assume he has a better made hand than yours). Adding FE, a check raise on the flop probably has positive EV. Once the turn bricks, you are really relying on FE to win the hand (you don't have the 38% equity needed even to call), but your line and stack size is not really conducive to getting him to fold.

Hold'em Simulation ?
    990 trials (Exhaustive)
    board: 9h 8c 7h
    Hand Equity Wins Ties
    Ts 9d 51.62% 508 6
    jh 8h 48.38% 476 6

Hold'em Simulation ?
    44 trials (Exhaustive)
    board: 9h 8c 7h 3c
    Hand Equity Wins Ties
    Ts 9d 70.45% 31 0
    jh 8h 29.55% 13 0
  • whatsyourplay?whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    I'd check-raise the flop with the intention to
    - get it in
    - possibly shut out other players, who might fold either a better made hand or a better draw then mine
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Jerry Yang is a pretty well known loosey goosey player no? I mean he seems almost like a maniac in the wsop coverage.. given this I am just not going to try to get a calling station to fold.. they just wont. I would have just called him down hoping to hit my straight or flush and get him to bluff/value own himself..

ww