Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

What's your favorite Bart Hanson fish frying recipe?

edogedog Posts: 43Member
One of my favorite Bart recipes is "barreled tuna with an al dente draw" I like it because it is low in variance, high in profit and does not require expensive cookware, i.e. a premium hand. It helps to start with good fish. I prefer tuna, stay away from trying it with shark.

Ingredients:
Weak opponents
Position
Good image
Good board texture
35-55 BB

2-3 100 bb loose passive game, effective stacks 80 BB.

We have 8d, 9d in the cutoff. Two players limp from mid position. We raise to $15. button calls, big blind calls, limpers fold. pot: $50

Flop: 10h, 5d, 2h.
Big blind checks, we bet $30. button calls, big blind calls. pot: $140

Turn: 10h, 5d, 2h, Ac
Big blind checks, we bet $60, button folds, big blind calls. pot: $240

River: 10h, 5d, 2h, Ac, 10s
Big blind checks, we bet $60, big blind folds. profit: $155, 52 BB. Cool

What I like about this recipe it that it does not require a premium hand or making a hand, both hard things to do on a regular basis. You also are controlling the action and the only read on this hand was on the turn to figure out if someone was slow playing or had the nut flush draw. In this case the big blind called after what I thought was more time than necessary if on the nut flush draw.

Anyone else have a good fish frying recipe? I really like recipes with al dente draws, because weak players just give up when they miss.

Comments

• Chicago IronChicago Iron Posts: 68Subscriber
    that recipe is a little off bro.
  • ILYAILYA Posts: 129Subscriber
    Picking off polarized river bluffs. Although I was doing that BBP (before Bart's podcast), it's better when it's conceptualized.
  • I think one of the most powerful concepts is the ability to bet call a very strong hand on the turn from OOP and then check fold to further aggression on the river. You never have to worry about your opponent valuebetting worse.

Bart
  • StopHammertimeStopHammertime Posts: 81Member
    FYI, $240 minus the $105 you put in is $135 profit. I'm also not sure if firing a three-barrel bluff, especially the second barrel on the turn with a player having position on you, is something you should be doing very often. While that Ace hits your perceived range, I think it also hits these villains' ranges pretty hard as well. This line really looks like a 3-barrel bluff from a distance.

It's interesting to see the responses. Unlike ILYA, I've actually reduced the amount of river bluff-catching I've done since listening to Bart (though I pulled off a fine bet/call on the river with 3rd pair the other day). I've also moved strongly towards playing deeper.

Where I've seen the most value from the show - and I've had a single hand pay for over a year's worth of podcasts many times over - is from value-betting thinly on the river. It's my favorite part of the game now. It has improved me by magnitudes. Hearing real-life examples and having it pounded into my head so much was key, more so than reading a magazine article or a few forum posts ever could. I remember how twisted my face got when I first heard "raise/fold for value", now it makes perfect sense.

My "best hand I ever played" stories are almost all river value bets now, whereas before it was betting the whole way with position with top-two and then checking back the river when a gutshot to Broadway got there on the river (and being correct).

(What's interesting about that is, while it was the right play that particular instance because of my read on a player I was very familiar with, I don't think I'd ever check back the river like that today, because it's just such an easy bet/fold spot.)

I've bet second pair on the river against people in $1/2 when the river brought four to a straight and have been good tons of times. The hidden value to these value bets is that people, subconsciously, realize they can't pick off your bluffs anymore - and it, perhaps ironically, allows you to bluff later in the game. When Bart talks about "a winning image", I think that's what he's really talking about - people feel like they can't make good decisions against you anymore. I used to be scared of cash games but now I so often find myself running over the table (albeit at $1/2!) that I wonder what the hell I was so worried about.

As a side note, because of these improvements, I sometimes find myself assessing people by what stories they tell when we're trading "best hand I ever played" stories. My story used to be a big fold, or a big check back like described above. Now, as a general rule, when I hear someone say that their best hand ever played was a fold, or a some hero calls, I assume I'm better than them, because folding the second-nut flush or a flopped set on the turn isn't really that big of a deal. "Best hand I ever played" stories are a great way to find out how people think about the game, and are less intrusive and nosy at a table than asking what someone had two hands ago. It gives people a chance to talk about how smart they are - their favorite subject. And it's easy to come up with a simple hand yourself if they expect you to tell one.

Bart's response here is interesting because this concept is something that he's mentioned on the show and has caught my attention with. I definitely buy into the idea that you don't have to call the river if you've called the turn, but in practice I only do that with position. Bet/calling out of position on the turn and then evaluating or bet/folding the river is something I haven't tried too much (it doesn't come up that often, and takes a particular type of Villain, I believe). I think I might be 3-betting those hands on the turn too often in those situations, instead of just bet/calling. Bet/calling the turn and bet/folding the river probably costs the same as 3-betting the turn does, but it's much lower variance.

My other favorite truism is that a min-raise on the flop is TPTK. I don't know how I didn't pick up on that before, but I see it so often now and it's almost never wrong. I wonder if I subconsciously did it myself before I heard about it.
  • wildncrazyguywildncrazyguy Posts: 422Subscriber
    Deep fried fish with a slice of dill and oregano with chips. Oh and a Bud light draft on the side.