Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Did I get max value?

ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
I had one bright spot today.. I rivered quads..

So the set up is there is a very bad older asian gentlemen that got it all in with me when he turned trips.. I had flopped the second nut straight. He thougth I had an overpair and really thought he was slowrolling me when he took almost 30 seconds to shove against my turn bet. He rivered a full house and I lost my first buy in. After that not much went well. about an hour later a new guy sits down in the seat to my right and he just looks like a bad player..

So the bad guy limps.. new guy raises to 20. I am sure I will get both to call and no one is three betting light and the bad player has flopitis. I call the 20 raise with about 500 behind with A7 suited..

Flop comes AA3 rainbow.. checks to preflop raiser he checks I bet 35 into the 65 (incl blinds) pot. I am hoping to get looked up by a pair.. both call.. pot now 190 ish..

Turn.. 3 ..checks to me and I bet 50.. Again my thought is its hard to called by worse..but I think I might have been able to get a little more.. maybe 75? Only the bad player calls me.

River.. A bad player checks again.. I bet 75 and he snap calls me... not really sure what he had because he mucked.. but I am assuming he had a pair and since he never sees anyone bet trips he didnt think I had quads..

opinions on turn bet sizing appreciated..

Wendy

Comments

• whatsyourplay?whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    I think you played the hand fine. It seems you are a bit results-oriented, since he called three streets. But remember that in 95% of these spots, villain folds his small pocket pair, and you are thinking: "Dang, why did I bet so much?"
    It just turned out that he called you down with some random weak hand, and you should be happy, because he played the hand very well. That's all that matters over time! Kiss
  • whatsyourplay?whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    I meant "...because YOU played the hand very well", of course. Smile
  • UntreatableFPSUntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    I like your sizing on the flop and turn

On the river, I would have bet about 250 and hope that he thinks that I don't have quads because there's only one A left in the deck and look me up light.

If he calls $75 100% of the time, then it's +$75 in EV
    He only has to call $250 30% of the time for it to be the same EV, which I don't think is an unreasonable calling frequency for the situation. And he might think you're steaming from the previous hand.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Claire said

I like your sizing on the flop and turn

On the river, I would have bet about 250 and hope that he thinks that I don't have quads because there's only one A left in the deck and look me up light.

If he calls $75 100% of the time, then it's +$75 in EV
    He only has to call $250 30% of the time for it to be the same EV, which I don't think is an unreasonable calling frequency for the situation. And he might think you're steaming from the previous hand.
    Hmm.. I never thought of bombing it because I was hearing Bart in my head saying that I had to bet an amount based on what he had not me. I am not sure I could have gotten 250 but maybe 150... this guy was a pretty big fish.. but he wasnt calling every river..

Wendy
  • UntreatableFPSUntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    Actually, I change my mind about the sizing. $140 might make it look cheaper to someone on autocall mode compared to $150 because of the mental discount effect

Sizing depends on the kind of fish you're against. If he's the type who gets scared away because you're betting more, then 250 is too much.

But if you checked one street, you can definitely make an overbet on the river and get called by worse. It wouldn't be a bad play to check back the turn for pot control or deception against sophisticated players (since you're not going to get huge value from an A with a worse kicker) and bomb the river to make it look like a bluff. But if you never bet big as a bluff, it would be unbalanced.

Example (hypothetically if PFR is thinking player)
    You bet 35 into 65 on the flop and get called by PFR, and you think he has a hand like TT-KK

Check check on turn because he's folding if he doesn't have an A

You hit quads on river. Now you can overbet and might get looked up by TT-KK