Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Button defense and Button Straddle

This is kind of a theory I guess, but if you play where you can button straddle, you should do it every time. It can be very effective. It also starts the hand at the SB which takes all value out of being in a blind and you get to act last preflop.

I started playing wider than usual from the button a while back. This started because of BB defense. I was defending my BB pretty wide and it does sometimes win unexpected hands. At the same time random things happen (like counterfeit 2 pair) with hands you shouldn't be playing, especially oop. I decided to start defending my button instead because if I'm going to play K6 for example I'd much rather be in position. I'm not sure if I'm saying this right but it basically comes down to being in position. If your going to play 2 random cards once every orbit, it might as well be with best position.

Then I started playing where you can button straddle and it made me think why wouldn't you do this every hand. Does anyone else "defend" their button?

Comments

• SFGiantsSFGiants Posts: 565Subscriber
    edited November 2020
    Yes, it would be advantageous to straddle on the button every time, but at the same time if action starts in SB, it could kill the game because in theory they would have to play much tighter because they have the entire table yet to act. However in the right table of action players, it may not matter.
  • N8Ball02N8Ball02 Posts: 78Member

I've seen the button straddle happen 3 ways.

The way I described where action starts at the SB.

I've also seen action start UTG and action skips the button but comes back after the BB.

Third way is where action is normal but the button gets to act a 2nd time after the BB.

The difference between 2 and 3 being that in scenario 2 if the pot is opened the straddle decides last. In option 3 if the pot is opened the straddle acts in turn but if unopened it skips the straddle. So I guess your not acting twice.

1st 2 options are how I've seen it played most of the time.