Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

50NL HU - River Two Pair, Front Door Comes In

dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,067Subscriber
I don't play much headsup/shorthanded. Inspired by some of @RobFarha 's videos, trying to put a bit more effort into it.

We've been playing headsup for about 20 minutes. Villain seems solid and is pretty aggressive, opening at least 80% of buttons. Seems to tone down aggression postflop when I have the betting lead. Only second river raise I could remember (first time I folded - may have been a spot where I was overbluffing.)

Hero's image is probably a bit tight for headsup. I've had a lot of hands where I've flopped no hand/no draw and have just given up. But shouldn't be seen as a donk or anything (I don't think). To this point I believe we are both down to the rake.

Ignition - $0.50 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 2 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: $65.43
Hero (BB): $66.82

SB posts SB $0.25, Hero posts BB $0.50

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.75) Hero has Qd 9c

SB raises to $1.25, Hero calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.50, 2 players) 6h 7h 9s
Hero bets $1.00, SB calls $1.00

Turn: ($4.50, 2 players) 2c
Hero bets $2.50, SB calls $2.50

River: ($9.50, 2 players) Qh
Hero bets $7.00, SB raises to $25.00, Hero?

Preflop seems standard, I think?
Flop I should probably have a leading range, even against someone I suspect would be c-betting wide. Sizing?
Thoughts on turn sizing on this blank?
River I bet large because I have some missed draws in my range. Because I went this large, I need to fold to this raise, right? Or am I so high up in my range that I have to call something?
Tagged:

Comments

• FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,604Subscriber
    I am no expert heads up. Not even close. I wouldn't fold 2 pair heads up. I played heads up a few times and it is certainly different than full ring. Even the not so good players play aggressive but very unbalanced.

As for the hand....

Seems odd he would XR the river when he hit the obvious scare card for value. Since he XRed before when you got caught bluffing.......

If he had a FD why not bet the flop? Maybe he feels your range hits that board and he doesnt want to be raised.
    Why not XR the flop to your weak bet size?

What can he have? Q6, Q7 which would play XC, XC (12 combos)
    He has ~25 flush combos here. But ~5 are discounted as he should be betting them like 9xhh, T8hh, JThh, QThh so really 20. And of those 20 he isn't Xing them 100% of the time.

Just on the price I think this is a call. Now add 10% Fuzzypup spazz factor with a hand like A6
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,067Subscriber
    @Fuzzypup Villain is in position. I donked the flop (mistake?).
  • NathanGuentzelNathanGuentzel Posts: 155Member

I think if you are going to donk into the pfr on this board and he calls flop and turn, I think you either check river out of protection and offer an opportunity to either bluff or overvalue a 2nd pair type hand. As played, it is a pretty polarized situation. I would rather have a T or 8 in my hand with a pair versus top two...just to block a straight...since our hand actually matters little in a polar situation.

It's possible he calls the donk with all overpairs on the flop in order to keep all of your weak betting range in. When he just calls on turn, that is something different. You made a decent bet on the turn.

The queen is really disjointed to the flop, other than the flush draw. Given the river in context with flop and turn play, I am willing to check and call for pot or so there. Your hand is pretty strong, however, we might have trouble getting value from most of what you still beat.

Curious...what are your flop bets versus checks in this exact hand?

Big combo draws and pair plus should really be looking at check raising, because it is so hard to defend on this wet board flop. If he is opening wide, he has so many zero equity hands that he can't protect. A continuation bet is then vulnerable to check raising. Which, should probably get you to the turn free quite a bit.

I didn't run this in Pio but I'm sure it will tell something similar.

• N8Ball02N8Ball02 Posts: 68Member

Playing on Bovada (same network) I like to test out new strategy at micro levels like this. A little while back I was testing out over betting and sizings that will get called, etc. I realized that regardless if I was bluffing or if I had it, a river bet of more than 1.5× the pot was never called throughout several sessions. I obviously never ran into the nuts but I even floated through the hand a couple of times just to throw out a huge bet on the river against a V who has been showing strength the entire hand. Those bluffs made it through. With that being said, I called some over bets a little light just to see and in every instance I called, the V had the nuts or something very close to it. I don't think there are many players playing at the $.50 level that will make this bet without having at least a set, and this guy probably had no worse than a medium strength flush and he probably has the nuts. While trying strategy at this level I came to the conclusion that the game isn't played the same at $.50 as it is even at $1/$2.

With all that being said, while reading I was curious as to why you donked into the raiser? And at such a small sizing at that. Once you took over the aggression with the donk bet, you lost out on any true read imo. If you check this flop you can always raise his C-bet if you really want to. But as far as sizing goes, I think you should have bet at least half pot on the flop. I do like that you sized up every street though, it shows hand strength. On this network betting half pot, 3/4 pot and then pot sized bet seems to work for sizing for both bluffing and betting for value. It also builds consistency as I know I'm betting the same with a triple barrel bluff as I am with a set of top pair or semi bluffing.

But that brings me to this question when playing on Bovada/ Ignition in general. On an anonymous network like this, is there even any need to have a balanced range at all. Players don't know who you are unless you have been sitting at the same table with the same people for a while. I look to 3 bet with any hand possible when I first sit down on these cash tables just to have a range that doesn't consist of QQ+. I don't know but its something I think about every time I open bovada. (Which I like to play on the go because its very easy on a phone )