Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Awkward 3b pot

SugarmanSugarman Posts: 41Subscriber
edited March 15 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
1/3-300 cap. $430 eff.

V in this hand is a bad LAG who’s been punting off for the past hr or so.

TcTh in BB. UTG1 and UTG2 limp, LJ V $35, BU c, H $140, folds to LJ who c, BU f.
($306 - $280 eff behind).
Flop: QsJsJd. H x, V x behind.
Turn: 8h. H x, V $50, H c.
River: 5x. H x, V x.

Not sure about my play on any street really. I felt like I could cbet flop with range for small sizing but we’d be committing ourselves against what could be a range which has us crushed so wasn’t sure.
V shows 44 and Hero scoops.
Tagged:

Comments

• BeatsmeBeatsme Posts: 603Subscriber
    I think this just demonstrates the softness of live play. Even when you show extreme weakness after the flop the villain doesnt put any pressure on you. I think you played it fine. It really goes to show that the river here is a check fold.

Ps... use the ? Mark to put in spoilers. You will get better unbiased responses
    Thanked by 2Sugarman CycleV
  • SuperflySuperfly Posts: 591Subscriber
    I think TT vs LJ open and button flat could be a played as a 3bet or call. Raising 1/3 of your stack pretty much commits you to calling vs a shove.

Normally with all the dead money and being OOP, you’d want to 3bet more. But given short stack sizes, I think your raise size is fine, leaving yourself a pot sized bet on the flop.

On the flop, you’re still way ahead of the LJ preflop callers range (65% vs 35%), even if you give V all AQ and AJs. And you don’t block the FD. So I don’t think you can fold. Question is how to get more money in without losing underpairs and draws.

Your TT does need some protection, so I think betting flop is better than checking. Betting 1/3 pot might be interesting to consider. May get some underpairs to call? But that may be Fancy Play Syndrome. Probably best to just shove. What’s everyone else think?
    Thanked by 1Sugarman
  • SugarmanSugarman Posts: 41Subscriber
    edited March 15
    Superfly wrote: »
    On the flop, you’re still way ahead of the LJ preflop callers range (65% vs 35%), even if you give V all AQ and AJs.

What range did you assign the V? I feel like it’s really hard to say definitively
  • SuperflySuperfly Posts: 591Subscriber
    See attached.
  • SugarmanSugarman Posts: 41Subscriber
    edited March 16
    Superfly wrote: »
    See attached.

Yeah, this seems about right (probably). I would say it may even be wider than this, (ATs/AJo/KQo etc), but obv I didn’t know this at the time. Versus a very wide V I think we can certainly bet our hand for value/protection. If we get shoved though on it kinda sucks as I think we need to call off and we likely only have 2 outs pretty often.
  • CycleVCycleV Posts: 1,196Subscriber
    I know it feels ridiculous, but I don't think shoving pre is all that bad. There's $80 out there, and we want all of it. The V you described is opening waaay too wide to be able to defend, and the BTN can't have a real hand (or he's a real mope) since he didn't have anything to say about the bad LAG's open.

If we raise to 140 and end up with one caller, or god forbid more, then we are too likely to get outplayed.
  • MVHMVH Posts: 11Subscriber
    I kind of agree with cycle. If we call we will likely be playing this hand OOP against 4 or 5 players. Im sure at least one limper will call. 3 betting committs us if we get jammed on. And folding seems a little weak. The guy raised to 35 over 2 limps. With a call inbetween probably nothing wrong with jamming.