Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$2/$5 Straddle Pot AJ OOP

ds2uaredds2uared Posts: 464Subscriber
Stacks at table are between $300 and $800. Hero has below average image but can't tell if the table pays too much attention to it.

UTG straddles. 2 calls. Hero ($800) in SB A J raises to $55. Villain (~$425) in BB calls. Folds around.

$133. Flop K Q 4. Hero bets $55. Villain calls.

$243. Turn A :s:. Villain has a little over $300 left. What should Hero do?

Bonus Question: What did Hero do?
Tagged:

Comments

• GarlandGarland Posts: 518Subscriber
    Interesting spot. If villain is more likely to 3-bet off AK/AQ, I think you have the best hand quite a bit on the turn. Even if not, you have a gutter/possible 2 pair/trips/counterfeit to fall back on. I'm trying to keep hands like xx, KT, Qx hands in. I'd bet $130 with the intent to call off if he goes all-in. As for the bonus question, I'll guess you went all-in?

Would like to hear other people's thoughts on this one.
  • LatvianMissileLatvianMissile Posts: 294Subscriber
    I'd check this to protect my turn checking range. I think the only other strong hands we raise pre and can check here are AT, KJ, KT.

I'm gonna guess that you bet small.
  • SuperflySuperfly Posts: 591Subscriber
    I would consider checking if you were deeper. But this board seems wet enough and stacks are short enough that I’d just shove with $300 left. I think some kind of combo draw is quite likely so I don’t think you need or want to feather it in. You may already be beat, but are you ever folding?

Pretty sure you shoved. Anything else would border on fancy play syndrome, and D-man, that just ain’t yo style, baby.
    Thanked by 1CycleV
  • SuperflySuperfly Posts: 591Subscriber
    PS. With two straddle callers, I think you could have raised more preflop - $75. I see that with the straddle stacks are under 100bbs. But with a hand hand like AJs from the SB, I much prefer to take this down pre and I don’t want to entice any callers by offering them a good price.

Also I’m not sure that a cbet is the best play on this flop. Yes the flop favors your range and you have nut advantage. And I guess you do block a lot of Kx / Qx combos. But it also seems like a board where you could very well get called and where you will often not pick up sufficient equity to comfortably barrel turns. Delayed cbet might be better?? IDK. I’d like to hear what others think about this.
    Thanked by 2CycleV ds2uared
  • CycleVCycleV Posts: 1,196Subscriber
    I agree w fly that I'm not cbetting here. Hands like mid pp will fold to a turn bet just as easily, and passive Vs don't often start firing away willy-nilly on a board that smacks your range.

Hell yeah you shoved
  • cruxcrux Posts: 119Subscriber
    Given V's stack, I'd expect that if V had two pair+ on the flop that you would have heard about it then with a raise a lot of the time. Similarly, I think you can discount AK and AQ on the turn as they would be 3! at least some portion of the time, and you have the blocker, so I would imagine you are good on the turn more often than not.

I'd like a bet of ~$100 on the turn and plan to call if V jams.

As for pre-flop and flop play, I agree with Superfly that pre you could probably size up a little with the couple limper in there. On flop, I think the c-bet is fine as AJ seems like as good a hand as any to bet as a bluff on this board. There are enough cards that help you on the turn that it can't be too bad, and enough cards that hurt you that you can shut it down pretty easily.

I'm going to go left field and guess that you checked the turn, to protect your range and maybe induce a bet to chk/raise.
  • ds2uaredds2uared Posts: 464Subscriber
    We're all smart pholks. 56.4% of the time we're right about our immediate reads. The best of us are right 57.2% of the time. This villain is loose. But 56.4% of the time loose doesn't mean it's worth mentioning.

And so upon reflection, Hero is right to C-bet. Because unknown villain is calling wider than he should preflop.

However, on the turn Hero was seriously flummoxed. As in "villain asked if Hero had checked" flummoxed (Hero took a bit of time OOP on the turn without saying a word). And so, like a (confused) boss, Hero jammed. Villain folded after a few seconds.