Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Playing the River OOP

1/3 $300 Cap. $450 Effective.

Main Villain is middle-aged Latino, who has expressed mild frustration that his pocket pairs keep getting beat and has started to open $25-$30 over a few limps.

Hero opens A Q UTG to $15, Villain 3! to $35, BTN (splashy rec) calls, Hero calls.

Flop (3 ways $109) K 7 :s: 2. X/X/X

Turn (3 ways $109) A :s: Hero X, V bets $30, BTN folds, Hero calls.

River (Heads up $169) 6 Hero?
Tagged:

Comments

• GarlandGarland Posts: 518Subscriber
    I like the play to the river. I would bet $50 with the intent to fold to a raise.
    Thanked by 1Fuzzypup
  • Steveo76Steveo76 Posts: 161Subscriber
    I think I prefer a 4! pre-flop versus this tilted Villain, pushing out the button and getting this heads up with likely the best hand.

As played, I like your line on the flop and turn. On the river I like a lead of about $100 targetting a weaker ace. If he raises this sizing I think you can fold comfortably. Betting much less than this runs the risk of looking like a blocking bet and may induce a bluff raise.

There is also the possibility that Villain picked up a draw OTT. His $30 bet into $109 seems very small. You might decide that the best course of action in this case is to check on the river to give him the chance to continue his story.
  • ArenzanoArenzano Posts: 1,464Subscriber
    edited February 19
    Putting in a 4b to isolate V1 is advantageous, especially since you're out of position vs two players. The 4b wouldn't need to be big; stack depth is an issue here.

Nice check call on the turn. A case can be made for leading river, but by doing so you deny this player the opportunity to bluff at the pot, which is something I want him to do.

Just for argument sake, let's say you do lead this river, are you folding to a raise?
  • ds2uaredds2uared Posts: 464Subscriber
    edited February 20
    I don't like a 4! here. I differentiate between a player tilting who opens a lot and a player 3! when tilting. I think he's a little more value heavy here.

I also don't think a tilting player given the history you just described folds out his pocket pairs, which you probably need 99 and TT to fold to make it advantageous.

I think flatting keeps in a lot of his suited, weaker aces.

I make the case you lead this turn, planning to call his raise. I don't want to give him a free card when he'll likely continue with all draws and you can check almost any river to set him up to bluff a wide range and to value own himself with a weaker Ace.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Posts: 134Subscriber
    Let me clarify. I do not think Villain is tilting based on his comments or his actions. I think he is a somewhat aware player who recognized the table was extra splashy, and demonstrated a desire to protect is more vulnerable hands. For instance, I think he would prefer to open to $25-$30 with 66 and get it heads up, rather than set mine 5 ways for $15. Not saying he's correct, but I think that's where he's at. I think he 3!'s a wider range than most at this level, but I don't know that he would do it with the small suited aces or suited connectors.