Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Facing big donk bet into preflop 3-bettor deep stacked

$2/$5, $1700 effective, Hero has K K :s: from cutoff
MP villain (middle aged white guy with over $2k; largest stack on table) has been super passive in the 90" I played with him. Only ever limped in and VPIP maybe 35-40%.

UTG opens for $30, MP calls, Hero makes it $120, UTG folds and MP calls. Pot is ~$270 HU

Flop: J 9 4 MP checks his cards and then grabs a stack of $25 chips and donks for about $400.

Hero?

Comments

• GarlandGarland Posts: 518Subscriber
    Not enough info for me to make a hero fold yet, 90 minutes is such a small sample size. On flop I don't think you can go anywhere, but I'm not raising. I'd just call the flop and see what develops on the turn.
  • SuperflySuperfly Posts: 591Subscriber
    Hoo boy. I actually think his leading is even stronger than if he check raised. He doesn’t seem to give a damn what you have. I can understand the rationale for calling near the top of your range. But honestly, I might exploitively fold here and keep a close eye on him going forward to see what he is capable of. There are not many turns where your decision gets easier.
    Thanked by 1Daddyslap
  • abstractlsabstractls Posts: 35Subscriber
    The checking of the cards very much tells me he doesnt have a set here, I'm definitely calling and evaluating on the turn, you dont have cl
  • JredAJredA Posts: 100Subscriber
    edited February 12
    Im curious if he count out the chips or just grabbed a stack and threw them out there. The sizing of the bet does not mean nearly as much when players do this compared to if he was in the tank and cut out a 2x pot sized bet. Also, I think we can often grab some info if he was excited when he did this compared to the times when its more like an aggressive slam of the chips.

I can't fold yet, and I don't like a raise as we are likely to only get called by sets and J9 this deep.

Villain could have a hand like AJ, QQ or strong draw like AcKc all of which we are obviously ahead of. I peel one and see what he does on the turn. I would guess he slows down on the turn once you call and you can then decide to get to showdown or get more money in the pot.
    Thanked by 1Daddyslap
  • ArenzanoArenzano Posts: 1,464Subscriber
    Super passive player. Calls a 6x open, then flats a 3b out of position, then over bet donk leads flop. I think this is a fold. If by chance he is over playing AJ, so be it. I’m guessing that is the bottom of his range here. It’s more likely he has 44 or 99 and is trying to protect his hand from a flush draw.

In the end, you have to ask what hands take this action? What’s the probability he does this with QTcc, 87cc, the NFD, or something like 9x?