Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Slump cures?

WtwebsterWtwebster Posts: 44Subscriber
edited February 5 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
After a solid year of 10 bb hr average I find myself in a downswing. One big win on Jan 1. After that, 10 losing sessions in a row! Any hints, clues, strategies? I’m dyin’ here!!

Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• DaddyslapDaddyslap Posts: 110Subscriber
    I need more information, tbh. Were you playing bad? Making bad decisions? Getting tilted and allowing emotion to run your decision making process? Or perhaps just running bad?

Multiple losing sessions happen, but 10 in a row is quite an anomaly if you are studied.

I'd recommend getting back to basics. Revisit preflop charts, revisit the understanding that big bets in small games means big hands, and make sure you aren't suffering from the dreaded FPS (Fancy Play Syndrome). Take an extended break where you aren't thinking about poker.

Get out of the poker mindset for a few days and then walk back into that poker room with confidence.
    Thanked by 1Steveo76
  • WtwebsterWtwebster Posts: 44Subscriber
    Thanks! Actually out of ten session, 7 were substantial losses—$200 to $600 and three were basically break even. The pattern has been starting strong and being up a couple hundred after an hour or two and then the wheels fall off. A big cooler, a bad call, missed draw and the downward spiral sets in. Confidence flags, I start over-folding etc. I try to stay with my game but look down and wonder where the fuck my chips have gone. Frustrating to say the least.
  • GarlandGarland Posts: 524Subscriber
    edited February 5
    I'm a solid winner as well, and haven't quite lost 10 in a row, but close: 10 of 11 and 12 of 13 (twice!) in the last several years. Losing streaks like this are rare, but happen. I will say that tilt contributed to the 12 of 13 losses, so I can totally relate to what you're saying.
  • cruxcrux Posts: 119Subscriber
    edited February 5
    I had about a 10 week downswing last fall where I lost or at best broke even 2 out of 3 sessions. It was pretty brutal to bankroll, but luckily not too much to confidence. There was definitely an element of "run bad," (How many times can a guy run into quads? Turns out a lot.) but at times I was also trying to incorporate some different plays and not totally focusing on the table I was at in the moment.

I found it helpful to take lots of notes on hands and review later when I wasn't emotionally invested in the play. Post hands here or discuss with your good poker friends. More than anything, being able to honestly evaluate your play and figure out what you are doing that is contributing to the losses will be the biggest help. If you are constantly evaluating, you're still improving even if you are losing. There are going to be times when you are playing well, but luck is not on your side. It's still part of the game.

In session, make table changes and take advantage of table dynamics. Play shorter sessions, especially when "running bad." Don't rebuy, and definitely don't hit the ATM, when "running bad." Don't drink beyond a little, if at all. Make sure you are actually present at the table and learning about your opponents, stay off your phone, etc. If you have the option of playing somewhere different than you usually do, try that. A new room may allow you to regain some edge and realize that players at your regular spot may be exploiting a tendency of yours.

As mentioned above, above all, stick to the fundamentals and play good poker and the swing will right itself.
    Thanked by 1Steveo76