Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Tight EP ranges decision

$2/5-$500 cap, $530 eff.

H opens AcTc UTG for $20, +1 TAG 3b $70, folds back to H.

Fold, call or 4b?
Tagged:

Comments

• ArenzanoArenzano Posts: 1,464Subscriber
    Assuming both you and +1 are playing reasonable ranges, this is just a fold. A 3b of your utg open, should read strength. ATs, even though it makes for a good open, continuing vs a “TAG” who may not be out of line with their 3b doesn’t seem profitable.

If this player was shown to execute some light 3b frequencies, then I can see a case for a light 4b.

Some might argue for a call, because of the suited Ace, but your stack depth is an issue and you’ll be oop for the hand.
  • SuperflySuperfly Posts: 591Subscriber
    edited January 25
    I think this is generally a call against a TAG. Referencing Ki Lee’s charts, an MP 3bet vs EP open range includes all suited broadways, medium pairs, suited connectors, even A9s/A5s/A4s which you dominate. Even if you tighten this range up a bit to represent EP vs EP, ATs still has about 45% equity vs this range.

I also think his smallish 3bet sizing of only 3.5x encourages a call. You’re getting close to 2:1 making a call EV+ vs range above. .

If you think his 3bet range is nittier than that, or if you think he is very skilled and aggressive at post-flop play, you could consider folding.
    Thanked by 1Daddyslap
  • GarlandGarland Posts: 518Subscriber
    edited January 27
    At these stakes and at your depths, this is a pretty easy fold pre especially since he made it 3.5x over your raise. I would pretend it's offsuit, because suited it just makes people overvalue the hand play-ability. You are more than likely looking to spike an A against his pocket pair range of KK->TT, and then sometimes you will flop an A and lose to AK or AA. Classic win a little/lose a lot proposition.

At a full ring 9-10 handed NL game, this hand would not make the cut for my UTG range.
  • DaddyslapDaddyslap Posts: 110Subscriber
    I'm also leaning towards a fold here; I can see arguments for calling if much deeper(@Superfly I believe Ki's charts are looking for 200-250+bb effective stacks to flat here) as well as arguments for 4!.

Generally speaking, we got caught at the bottom of our UTG open range, so fold it and move on.