Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$2/$5 to 3bet or not?

Folds to passive rec ($325 eff.) otb who raises to $25. Sb ($400 eff) calls. Hero looks at 99 in BB.

Ki's latest video has this as a flat. But with the sb calling pre and this being a button open, thoughts on 3betting to $110 or so?
Tagged:

Comments

• SuperflySuperfly Posts: 591Subscriber
    @ds2uared, 99 is one of the hands where I’m never sure whether to call or bet. In this case there is the extra money from a caller enticing a squeeze. And since the SB just called, I don’t think we need to put him on as tight of a range as we would normally assign if the SB raised. Both those factors make me lean towards a raise.

HOWEVER, both Vs are under 100 bbs deep. If you 3b say 4x to $100, the pot is going to balloon to $200 - $300 depending on the number of callers. With an SPR <2, there’s not much maneuverability left and you’re pretty much at the mercy of the flop. I suppose you could 3b smaller but now you’re increasing the odds that both Vs call, which probably is not a great situation for 99. So I guess because of the short stacks best to just call and see a flop?? I’ll be interested to see what others say.
  • fishcakefishcake Posts: 1,002Subscriber
    This is an easy flat against someone passive.
    Thanked by 1kaboojie
  • Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,109Administrator, LeadPro
    This is probably a mix of 3 betting and flatting, but with the extra dead money out there from the SB, you are incentivized to 3! Bart
  • FriendlyFishFriendlyFish Posts: 123Member
    Really depends on how passive the button is. Does he raise a lot when folded to on the button? Does he ever limp the button like some bad passive players do ? (I’ve seen it). Is his standard raise always 25 ? The raise size seems big to his stack size so I would proceed with caution and call
  • ds2uaredds2uared Posts: 464Subscriber
    Does he ever limp the button like some bad passive players do ? (I’ve seen it). Is his standard raise always 25 ? The raise size seems big to his stack size so I would proceed with caution and call

He's exactly the kind of player who would limp on the button sometimes or raise to $15 with a moderate strength hand.
  • PanchoPancho Posts: 5Subscriber
    Passive rec shows strength by opening 5x. If you're considering 3betting to $110 are you planning on snap calling off a jam or 3bet folding?

Also somebody has mentioned that the SB flatting range here is going to be fairly weak? I'd argue that is going to be fairly tight calling a 5x open oop from a passive rec as you describe, I imagine he is flatting a lot of very reasonable playable hands which don't want to 3bet fold against such a large open when the button has only $300 behind.
  • kaboojiekaboojie Posts: 518Subscriber
    I agree with Bart’s point about being incentivized to 3! due to the dead money. However, I think fishcake’s point about V being a passive fish would supersede that. I would prefer to flat.

Either way, it’s pretty close between the 2.
  • GarlandGarland Posts: 518Subscriber
    This is a borderline hand. Against said opponent and description thus far, I like a flat here, but 3! with TT.