Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

2/5 Turn Decision, BTN Straddle Raised Pre

cruxcrux Posts: 119Subscriber
edited October 2019 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
2/5, $2000 cap

I've been at the table about two hours. I don't have any experience with the Villain in this hand before tonight. He is a middle-aged eastern european that has shown to be pretty loose pre, straddles his button almost every time, has shown some pure air bluffs or very partial bluffs, as well as some rediculous preflop hands that have gotten there. I actually moved from his direct right to a spot a few on his left about 30 minutes prior, and have collected a few nice pots from him.

The hand.

$15 BTN Straddle
V on BTN has effective stack ~$2000
Hero in BB covers with ~$3100. J Q

SB fold, Hero call, fold to BTN $65, Hero call

Flop ($132): J K J
Hero checks, V $45, Hero $145, V call

Turn ($422): 9
Hero $250, V pretty quickly jams for $1690, Hero ?

{edits} edited post title for clarity.

Comments

• McLovinMcLovin Posts: 50Subscriber
    Ok so lets start with major pre-flop issue. You are not super deep if the btn straddle is 15.
    If you do not open QJo with 200 BBs from EP then why did you limp from BB with that hand??
    This is a major issue that needs to be fixed in straddle pots especially from OOP.

Flop is good.

AP against this V type he will have some Q10o so he does have around 15-20 value combos. His bluffs will mainly be flush draws which are not many since only Ah and 10h are left. Since this V is total spazz we can add some random bluffs and considering player tendencies to always slow-play a bot here and i am a somewhat station so i am not folding against a spazz.
    Thanked by 1crux
  • ds2uaredds2uared Posts: 464Subscriber
    Versus button straddles who are particularly aggro with their straddle (one player from my game comes to mind) I have integrated an EP limping range in to my game.

That range does NOT include QJo. Don't do that, it's just setting fire to money.

On the flop, I like a slightly larger check-raise. It's a draw heavy board with a K out there, if he coming along, he's coming along. Check-raise to $175.

On the turn, when a player is that spazzy, how deep has his spazziness been before this hand? If he's run some absurd bluffs, I think a call is fine.
    Thanked by 1crux
  • cruxcrux Posts: 119Subscriber
    Appreciate the feedback on the preflop action.
    I am still learning how to navigate straddles vs different opponents and in different configurations, and I am learning that I have some leaks especially in loose games. I do look at being 600BB deep, 200 deep with the straddle as playing pretty deep, and maybe that is my first mistake.

Assuming no straddle, it's true I would generally not open with QJo from EP, though at a table like this I would probably open limp it sometimes from LJ or HJ. And, I would defend from BB to a single raise, slightly villain dependent.

V had been really spazzy when I first sat down.. 92o three betting from the BTN straddle; over calling with unsuited gappers and bluffing or catching; etc. I had chipped up probably $1500 off of him in the past 45 mins in a few hands where he ran similar bluffs where I called him down with good made hands, but also as poor as second pair where I picked up some weakness from him.
    I tanked for a short time and did call.

I was debating if he played KK, KJ, J9 or AJ this way. I block QTh & AQh, the most likely flush hands. Less likely to me, but possible he played another QT this way and made his straight, or XXh turned into a bluff. I can't give him 99. Given the player, I think he has as many bluffs and semi-bluffs in his range, going as low as 89, T9, K9. Like I said, a bit spazzy.

V showed A J :s:

Biggest bummer was that I had put myself on a clock and was 3minutes from leaving the table.
    Ended up spending another hour working back some of the lost stack.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,575Subscriber
    #! fold QJ effectively UTG

#2 fold the turn. Either he has AJ or he has the straight.