Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Triple Barrel @ 5/5

cruxcrux Posts: 119Subscriber
edited September 2019 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
5/5 game, 1500 cap.
Hero: $1400 on the button, K Q
V: HJ ~$1100. No real info on him. He's obviously a fairly regular player, everyone knows him. I've only been at the table about an hour and he's re-bought twice, once for $500, once for $1k just a few hands ago, and has shown up with both good hands that have been run down, and a couple marginal hands that were played too far.

1 early limp, V $35, CO (~$600) call, H $105, Folds to V who calls, CO calls

Flop ($325): 6 :s: 2 4
Checks to Hero, bet $80, call, fold

Turn ($485): 6
Check, H $175

River ($835): 7 (edited: was the 7, not the 4)
Check, H ??

I did decide to continue running the bluff.
Thoughts on this?
What would you put the Villain on here?
If you were here and decided to triple barrel, what sizing would you use on the river?
Thoughts on earlier streets?

Comments

• GarlandGarland Posts: 529Subscriber
    edited September 2019
    You're trying to run over a villain who is stuck, which is problematic. Pre-flop should be bigger due to caller to about $140. As played, flop bet is ok, but turn paired board is not good to barrel. Would structure turn barrel A/K/Q or . As played giving up on river.
  • cruxcrux Posts: 119Subscriber
    Totally agree that pre-flop sizing was too small. I initially reached for $135, and should have gone with that.

What is the thinking on the paired turn not being good to barrel?
    In my mind, it doesn't really change anything if I am repping a big overpair, and have V ranged to paired 8-J, maybe pair of 5s, or A5ss. It's fair to assume he's not hit a boat on the on turn, or quads, right, as I think any hand that gets there would have also shown up with a raise on the flop?
  • CycleVCycleV Posts: 1,196Subscriber
    I understand wanting to fire a 2nd barrel to get him off if AK or aq, but I he's only calling with the bdfd combos there, that's 6 hands. But his overpair combos are up to 36 combos, 77-qq depending. Some of that will fold to a 2nd or 3rd barrel, but like G said, he's stuck therefore likely stickier than normal. And your own read us he can take a hand too far. So this one is by both reads and combinatorics a 1-and-done for me.
    Thanked by 1Fetterfool
  • cruxcrux Posts: 119Subscriber
    Cycle: I thought about his prior hands he took too far, and in those he was primarily leading the betting. Maybe it was intentional on his part and he had me pegged somehow, but his check/call line in this spot led me to think he wasn't as committed to his hand as he obviously was. I'll definitely keep it in my mental notes that maybe this player leads his marginal hands more than his more nutted hands post flop, though I'm not sure I would consider his showing 'nutted.'
    As for combos, I didn't give him many AK or AQ given my hand, and none after the turn except for hearts. QQ-AA were unlikely given blockers and no 4! pre. So, yeah, I was targeting 77-JJ (until the river) and obviously a little too hopeful.

This is definitely a learning spot for several reasons for me, not least of all is never forgetting that other players aren't necessarily (almost never) thinking the same way I do. When I'm stuck, the last thing I want to do is just call off 1/2 of my stack again.

The other is the importance of being accurate in tracking the pot and formulating my bet sizing. I was a bit off in my mental math and not only started off too small pre-flop, but continued on the small size partly because I was off in my pot count. I think that once I committed to running the bluff I needed to be sizing up. A line something like $135 pre, $150 flop (assuming CO still calls pre), $275-350 on turn might have been more effective.

Villain ended up calling $325 on the river with pocket 8s, after tanking for about 3 minutes.
    The way he called seemed like a, "fuck it, it's only $325." kind of call, where he counted it off, moved it back and forth next to his remaining stack a couple times sort of thing.

A follow up, if you are in Villain's spot here, are you more likely to call what looks like thin value, or something more polarizing like a pot size bet?
    Thanked by 1hustlin
  • hustlinhustlin Posts: 366Subscriber
    ^ if I'm villain, if your bet sizing. Ur basically forcing me to call. Even though looks value / milky. Its hard for me to fold 88 on this board, especially since your betting like 40% pot on the river. Something bigger like 3/4 's than we talking about folding our 88 here.

as played, flop bet bigger at least 1/3.
    on turn 1/2 pot at least.
    and river 1/2 pot at least. I would probably give up on the turn here.

this is a good learning lesson. its very important to know the pot size and use the proper bet sizes to leverage your position.
    Thanked by 2crux CycleV
  • McLovinMcLovin Posts: 50Subscriber
    Pre make it around 150-175 if you are planning to 3B else just flat. 100 is not going to serve any purpose.
    Flop is not a c-bet/range-bet at all given our hand against two players. Just check it back.
    Turn is a give up card.
    River AP Villains should not have a strong hand but is he ever gonna fold 99s-JJs here?? If no then just give up