Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

How many barrels?

While a specific hand did inspire this question, I'm more interested in a discussion on the theory of the situation.

Low stakes, 100ish BB effective. Villain open limps in LP, Hero raises from SB with AK or AQ, BB folds, limper calls.

Flop is 8 3 3 :s:. Since you're here reading this, let's assume hero has a good image.

What's your thought process on how many barrels you're willing to fire in a situation like this?

Comments

• FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,577Subscriber
    What stakes are you playing?
    What suits is your hand?
    What is the stereotype of the caller?
    We assume a bad opponent.
  • CycleVCycleV Posts: 1,196Subscriber
    yeah there's bad cuz they fold too much and bad cuz they call too much. I know I'm (becoming) a bit of an outlier around here, but I ain't super interested in ranges and Pio and charts. I'm old-skool exploitative.
    Thanked by 2Piggy RogerHardy
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Posts: 134Subscriber
    edited July 2019
    This hand is 1/3, which is most often the only NLHE game in the room.

As far as suits, I’m more interested in the broader picture. So what if we group the various combos as such:

Category 1 - BDFD with an unsuited hand

Category 2- BDFD with a suited hand

Category 3 - no BDFD

Villain is white guy around 40. Seems like a middle of the spectrum rec. I've been playing with him for a couple of hours, and haven't seen anything noteworthy one way or the other. The only real hand we played he did fold to a 3rd barrel on the river, but we did not discuss holdings. He's probably a bit wide early in the hand, but if he gets to showdown he probably has something decent.
    @CycleV I'm with you on exploitative play, but I like the idea of having most decisions made ahead of time that I can adjust based on the dynamics I'm seeing at the table.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,577Subscriber
    If you have AK no BD anything you can check. pairs aren't folding, you are behind FDs and you want AQ to call a street OTT or catch your ace. If you have BDs you should be betting.

• ArenzanoArenzano Posts: 1,464Subscriber
    Obviously suits matter, so you would take your 16 combos AK AQ and develop some categories of which combos want to continue and how.

In broad terms, it may not matter what your combos are so much as what the villain will do with his range and what you think the villains very best fold might be. Also, while you’re looking at AK AQ, ask yourself what you might do with TT, 66, A8, A3, or 76cc, QJcc etc. You may not have all those in your sb range as a raise, but you should get the point...
    Arenzano wrote: »
    Obviously suits matter, so you would take your 16 combos AK AQ and develop some categories of which combos want to continue and how.

Yes, this is what I'm trying to get at with this thread. It looks like @Fuzzypup likes check without a BDFD. Curious what others think.

As for the rest of that range or my raising range after BTN open limps. I'm c-betting this flop nearly 100%. V's range is so weak and this board figures to have missed him such a large percentage of the time, I think it's a license to print.
  • Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,115Administrator, LeadPro
    The idea of betting with the bdfd and checking without comes from recent solver work. And yes I I think that this is a decent spot to go for 3 barrels here with the understanding that if the board does not runout with an least 1 card above a ten, your triple barrel may not work. Bart