Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Day 2 of Millionaire Maker AKs 18bbs (post flop)

Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,115Administrator, LeadPro
2k-4k w 4k BB ante (dead 2.5bbs) Millionaire Maker Day 2, post bubble. I have about 72k (18bbs)..

Folds to me and I have A K on the Button. Sb is euro (100bbs), BB (60bbs) is decent pro my age, and known.

Folds to me and instead of shipping I min open to try and induce a reshove to 8k. sb folds, BB defends.

POT is 22k (5.5bbs)
FLOP: Q J :s: 3 BB checks, Hero checks back.

I decide to check back as I feel like I can call across a fair amount of turns and he’s not folding a pair hate to get blown off my gutter equity.

TURN: is 9 :s: BB bets 12k.. Hero?
Tagged:

Comments

• kasspavkasspav Posts: 15Subscriber
    I shove pre-flop with AK and 18bbs, because more often than not you will not flop a pair, and you need to see all 5 cards. Especially live where BB flats more often to "see a flop". You would get enough calls to turn a very good profit. I would min raise AA-QQ and put in some suited As Ks Qs, and sometimes even limp on the btn, and play a pot IP if the big stack doesn't decide to get frisky. I would also shove all pairs 22-TT.
    As played I fold...16bbs are still good and difference from 18 not much, lol
    Thanked by 1CycleV
  • PiggyPiggy Posts: 172Subscriber
    I would just shove pre being so short. I want to make sure I realize all my equity and see all 5 cards. If we’re not shoving pre, I would simply GII on any flop.
  • drew5harkdrew5hark Posts: 580Subscriber
    Feels like a simple fold...I know aggression level is higher in tourneys but this lights up a calling range
    Thanked by 2CycleV Daddyslap
    ...and I’m fine w the raise ...still plenty of play left ...we’d like to gii here but it’s not a disaster here to move on
    Thanked by 1CycleV
    edited June 2019
    Bart....are u c-betting if there’s a diamond on that flop a decent portion of the time ?...what if deeper?
  • PokerShamanPokerShaman Posts: 107Subscriber
    IMHO, should put more money in preflop: say, 1/3 of our stack, and then put the rest in on any flop. Either that or just shove pre.
  • JredAJredA Posts: 100Subscriber
    My typical guideline for shoving is around 12-15bb. This is obviously not set in stone, but I think its a good guideline.

I like the raise pre opposed to a jam. I might decide to jam this much if I think villains perceive the jam as weak. I know a lot of circuit grinders who shove up to 25bb's in spots like this with small pairs and certain broadway holdings, but I have always leaned towards the more cautious approach.

I c-bet this flop. We have a ton of Qx, Jx combos in our range and villain is probably defending super wide getting the amazing price pre and given the dynamics. You could even get called by worse Ax here often against solid villains. I would bet on the smaller side 1/3 pot and plan to barrel on all diamond turns along with any Tx, Kx and Ax for value.

As played, it sucks, but we have to fold.
  • SlivererSliverer Posts: 8Subscriber
    Preflop this should never be a jam. The only hands I would be shoving at this stack depth would be low pairs (22-77) and maybe some low suited Aces, which both have decent equity, can get high equity hands to fold and don't mind not seeing a flop. AKs is just way way way too strong to open jam, you're preventing people to rejam worse hands you mainly dominate, you're preventing outkicking other Kx and Ax, dominating other draws etc, the EV of raising should outclass jamming by far. 15-16BB is the threshold where I start jamming more and more hands, but even with 15BB, I'll minraise hands like A9s or 88 instead of jamming them.

Flop can go both ways, if we do cbet, we have to continue, even to a jam, because we simply have too much equity to fold, but I can get behind the checkback. Turn is a pretty clear call imo for the same reason. Against a single-paired Qx, we have around 23%, so not that far away from the price we're getting, toss in some FDs, Tx, random air and you have more than enough equity to continue the turn against a decent player. His sizing also doesn't really fit into what most players would bet with 2p+.
  • JustfourfunJustfourfun Posts: 200Subscriber
    edited June 2019
    I would fold here and move on. With 3 s on the board V could be betting with a big spade. that would be the reason I am considering a call. With a bigger stack say 40 BB I would call. But with 16 BB I don’t want to risk 2 of my remaining BB here.

Pre flop this hand is a shove every time. From the perspective of the sb and bb this is the point in the tourney to start accumulating chips from the short stacks. If you shove here Pre and I was in the sb or bb I would consider calling you with any A. I call with KQ, 55 plus, KJ suited. It folded to you on the button so Sb and bb have to attribute a wide range to your shove here.
  • SlivererSliverer Posts: 8Subscriber
    Pre flop this hand is a shove every time. From the perspective of the sb and bb this is the point in the tourney to start accumulating chips from the short stacks. If you shove here Pre and I was in the sb or bb I would consider calling you with any A. I call with KQ, 55 plus, KJ suited. It folded to you on the button so Sb and bb have to attribute a wide range to your shove here.

There is no point in a tourney where you want to accumulate chips from short stacks, you just want to accumulate chips in general. If someone open jams 18BB from BTN and I'm sitting in SB deep with BB, I'm probably calling ATo+,A8s+,77+ and that's it. I'm not even calling A2o BB vs SB for 18BB because it's barely profitable and way too marginal imo if you give yourself some sort of edge over the field.