Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Backraise Gone Wrong in Big 50

JLBJJLBJ Posts: 172Subscriber
First level of flight 1C of the Big 50 today at the WSOP. 100-200, 200 BB ante. 50K effective.

Villain in MP raises to 500, I flat next to act with A K :s: . Active button makes it 1700, folds back to villain, who calls. I decide to try to pick up the dead money now and make it 7500. Button thinks and folds. Villain tanks, then makes it 15000.

Thoughts? Obviously I could just 3-bet to start and the hand plays in a more standard way. Did my play have any merit, or was it too cute?

And what would you do now, as played?

Comments

• Latrell1515Latrell1515 Posts: 237Subscriber
    edited June 2019
    Just calling this is bad early on, you have position on the initial raiser and now you are just inviting players with deep stacks to call with basically anything. I dont want to play AK 4/5 ways with possibly 2 on my left. I would have raised to around $1800 3X plus the total in Blinds and then if the BTN had now re-raised to lets say $5000-$6000, I would consider pitching after a raise-reraise and then the 4 bet this early on I imagine is QQ's + 90% of the time.
  • JustfourfunJustfourfun Posts: 200Subscriber
    I agree with Latrell's comment above.

As played I think it's a call. Really tough situation. V is perplexed by your flat and then sudden difficult to understand four bet. For that reason we would look at V's five bet as not being a typical five bet situation. You are equally perplexed by V's call of active button's three bet and then V's unexpected 5 bet. Your initial flat was a mistake. Now, I think it is a mistake to fold AK when you are only risking 7500 more to win 32,000.
  • JLBJJLBJ Posts: 172Subscriber
    I knew I was getting too good a price to fold. I called and folded when he jammed on a 333 flop.

Do you think he’s doing this often enough with QQ or less that I should have just jammed myself?
  • JustfourfunJustfourfun Posts: 200Subscriber
    I dont think you can call his jam. the hand is tough to place V on a range based on the perplexing nature of pre-flop action. If he checked and you jammed he may have folded.
  • JLBJJLBJ Posts: 172Subscriber
    What about preflop? He makes it 15K, do you think he has other than AA or KK enough to just get it in for 50K?