Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

How bad did I Misplay AA?

ShaneShane Posts: 14Subscriber
edited January 2019 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Sorry I don't remember every detail about this hand, but I had been drinking at a bar and was not even planning on playing poker tonight. Then I decided to play poker at 1am after the alcohol kicked in. LOL

So...I ended up at Bally's in Las Vegas. My table broke and I had just been moved to the last table left at Bally's at around 4am. So both players in the hand are new to me. It's a 1/2 game with a max $300 buy in. I have about $650 to start the hand, utg+1 villain has around $450, villain 2 has a total of $29 dollars.

Utg+1 (main villain), open raises to $10. Mp2 is short stacked and goes all in for his last $29. I have AA on the button and decide to flat the $29 to keep the utg+1 player in, hoping he either calls with a marginal hand, or he re-raises (4 bets) his strong hands. Unfortunately for me, villain 1 just calls the $29.

The flop is Qxxss (The other two cards were low cards that I don't remember). There's a front door spade flush draw. The Villain leads for $40. The best hand I put villain on was AQ giving him top pair. Then maybe some Ax and a few other flush draws. Then maybe there was a small chance he flopped a set with a low pair. But he seemed more like a player that would limp a low pair rather than raise in early position, so I discounted all sets except for possibly QQ, which I thought he would also 4 bet with preflop.

But again, I just sat down at this table so I have no idea how anyone is playing. I decide to just call his $40 flop bet. The turn is a blank, he leads again for $60, I just call again. The river is a spade, bringing in the front door flush draw, he checks, I check.
He turns over KK. I win the $200 side pot, but the villain 2 that shipped $29 all in preflop flips over 58ss for the rivered flush for the $85 main pot. I'm less concerned with the main pot then I am with the side pot. With my AA I fell I should have won a lot more against KK in this spot.

Any thoughts on this hand would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
Tagged:

Comments

• brian36redbrian36red Posts: 25Subscriber
    Not the worst played aces I’ve ever seen, but a few thoughts that came to mind: —at 1/2 make it a rule for yourself to never slow play, except when you have the board locked-down and you need other players to catch up b/c they would certainly fold to a bet. So many reasons not to slow play at 1/2 but a few are: its a disaster when villain has a strong hand, the player pool is weak and will call down with weak hands, when you play strong hands fast and show them down your opponents will respect you bets when you’re bluffing. Finally, 1/2 is about getting value and playing value hands slow is not the best way to make money from them in the long run. There are more reasons but I think this are most important.

As played, you under-repped your hand preflop. For want reason? To get value on later streets! Don’t wait until all the cards are out to get value. First, one pair might not be best by the river. Second, if villains don’t have anything they can’t call river bet. Villains are much more likely to call a bet or a raise on flop or turn when they still have a chance to improve. So as played raise flop. The board is such that lots of turn cards aren’t good for you. I think your pre-flop play, while it’s not ideal, is ok. Raise the flop. As played, turn play was ok. River... When he checks to you, bet for value and fold to a raise, which is highly unlikely.
  • Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,109Administrator, LeadPro
    I don't hate the play preflop, BUT you will see that low stakes players wont 4 bet that often to pick up that extra dead money (you cold call of $29) like they should. This play would work against a guy like me.

On the flop just raise and play it like a set. The main pot is protected, right so the guy is going to have a queen there. You have to get some money in at some point. When you get to the river.. and he checks to you why on earth would you check back? You think hes betting a flush draw in a protected pot on the flop and on the turn to make it and check the river from OOP? Bart
  • PokerIlluminatiPokerIlluminati Posts: 45Subscriber
    I would raise to 35-40 to make it look like an isolation and hope UTG+1 calls or pops you back. If you make it 35, the villain is getting 3/1 with 25 to win 74. You could probably even go bigger 45 here.

I like your thought process in not putting the villain on a small set and narrowing it to QQ if he does have a set. Raising the villains flop bet to to 110 helps to reduce equity for a flush draw. Would not surprise me if the villain commits remainder of stack after a flop raise.

Do you recall if you had the As?

I like the river check when the river completes the flush.
  • workinghardworkinghard Posts: 1,573Subscriber
    I would raise to 35-40 to make it look like an isolation and hope UTG+1 calls or pops you back. If you make it 35, the villain is getting 3/1 with 25 to win 74. You could probably even go bigger 45 here.

I like your thought process in not putting the villain on a small set and narrowing it to QQ if he does have a set. Raising the villains flop bet to to 110 helps to reduce equity for a flush draw. Would not surprise me if the villain commits remainder of stack after a flop raise.

Do you recall if you had the As?

I like the river check when the river completes the flush.

"to make it look like an isolation and hope...". You really believe your 1 3 players are thinking about if your plays looking like isolation raises? the river check doesn't make sense. he has about zero flushes when he checks.