Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

PLO How deep do you want to be to call with sooted aces?

UTG straddle is on for 10. 3 calls, SB calls, I'm in BB with A432 nut soot so obv I call. Straddler is providing most of the action at the table, pots to 70. Two of the limpers call, it's back to me. I have $950, straddler covers, the two limpers about 350 and 500.

I elected to fold but (as is so often the case) I'm not sure about my reasoning. I have a rundown but it's the worst, I have a soot but the worst position. I'm only in for $10, and 2 of the 3 V's don't have enough to play for to make me excited to chase this one. I don't know how much of the above is correct thinking and how much is too nitty. TYIA.
Tagged:

Comments

• DoubleSuitedAceDoubleSuitedAce Posts: 19Subscriber
    I don't know that there is correct/incorrect thinking here. Like you said, you were only in for $10, were out of position, and 2 of the villains didn't have enough money to make you excited to call. Thus, if you don't feel like putting in $60 more to play the hand, that is perfectly fine.

On the other hand, it also sounds like you are a bit frustrated that you had to fold preflop (that damn straddler wouldn't let you see a cheap flop with a suited Ace rundown). As you said, the straddler is providing most of the action, so it sounds like they could have a fairly wide range of which they are raising with. And if my math is correct, you are getting 4:1 immediate odds on a call ($240:$60). Additionally, you could argue that the villain to be most concerned with is the straddler since they have enough chips to double you up. So I guess it comes down to whether you are open to playing a big pot out of position, since if you flop your flush draw, you are probably not folding.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about folding away $10 if you saw reasons not to play the hand. If you had chosen to call, you had to be willing to fold if you missed the flop but also willing to call off your stack if you flop a flush draw on an unpaired board. Perhaps someone else could provide a more math based/GTO approach to this than I can.
  • CycleVCycleV Posts: 1,196Subscriber
    I appreciate the comments. I wasn't frusrated, and as I reread my post, I'm not sure where you got that from. I just want to know when and where I should be opening up more than I currently do.
  • High__RollaHigh__Rolla Posts: 798Subscriber
    I'm okay with the fold. Your hand is going to be tough to play OOP. If you make a flush, it may be hard to get max value OOP. Most of the straights you make will be inferior and the top side of those straights will likely contain lots of cards that fit into the other ranges. Your two pair hands will either be bottom two pair or aces up where there is likely a better aces up or two out there. You could make a deceptive low trips, but again you are OOP trying to get value. It just sucks playing OOP in PLO with speculative hands.