Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

help with $1 $2

nofriends333nofriends333 Posts: 887Troll
edited November 2018 in Low Content Forum
Going to give $1 $2 one more shot this weekend under one condition. I am pasting some long ball advice i received from a former or current member Mr Basic i have been trying to reach for over a year but he might have cancelled his subscription to resume his career in chess. He told me he excells in chess and has competed in tournaments but the money is not even close to what poker offers. So here goes let me know what you think of his $1 $2 advice . He is or was a $2 $5 player before he disappeared off the face of the earth Bart i would love to read your incite on what he thinks.

Besides pre-flop play, I think flop play is the other most important part of beating 1/2. When I raise to $15, I find that we go heads up around 70% of the time. When I'm in position and it is checked to me, I c-bet 100% of flops. I'm not even joking. And it's always 2/3 pot. So since the pot is $30 I bet $20 no matter if I have the nuts or napkins.

If you work out the math, this c-bet needs to make your opponent fold only 40% of the time to be immediately profitable. Statistically, your opponent will miss the flop over 60% of the time. When they checked to you, it's probably a good sign that they have nothing. I make this c-bet over and over again and keep on picking off the pots on the flop.

The beauty of this play is that your opponent has learned absolutely nothing about what you had or how you played because your pre-flop raise is always $15 and when you go heads up and they check to you, you always bet $20.

Now here's the important thing. Even if you flop a really strong hand. you must bet $20 to balance your entire range. If you try to get tricky by check-raising or varying your bet size, this makes you exploitable by the more observant players who notice the variation. It also protects your bluff c-bets.

Let me give you an example. A smart opponent (like 10% of 1/2 players) will notice you always c-bet the flop and try to set a trap. Let's say you hold 99 and you raised to 15 and got one opponent. Let's suppose your opponent is holding AQ. Flop comes A-9-3 and he checks to you. Using our bet all the time rule, we bet $20. Now he check raises to $65 (he's thinking AHA! I got this guy!). But here's we punish him because we are crushing him. I think we can either get it all in here or call and trap his trap. But the point is, when we showdown our hands we are gonna stack him off with our HUGE hand and everyone's gonna be surprised we bet such a strong hand on the flop, whereas most ppl will try to slowplay or something.

Now in the future, people are gonna think twice before check-raising us on the flop because we might be holding a monster. So If you hold AJ and the flop comes K-T-7, you can confidently bet 20 again and have everyone else scared or second guessing themselves. In this case, if they do check-raise you can fold knowing that the guy probably does have a monster hand himself (since they've already witnessed that you bet out with strong hands, they must have a really strong holding to C/R you on flops). And because you can so obviously make the correct fold, they are not getting any value out of their hands.

Another factor is that because your pre-flop sizing is so large, the pot escalates so quickly. Turn bet sizing usually ends up in the $40-60 range and river bets become like $75-100. When you fire second barrels on the turn a lot of guys will be scared of facing a HUGE $100 river bet and just fold unless they have a very strong hand.

I believe they call this style a "long ball" style which is the opposite of the "small ball" style that guys like Negreanu play. Essentially you are telling your opponents "let's play for stacks" on every hand you decide to enter. Anyone with half a brain will not call super garbage hands for $15, so if you go heads up to the flop and it comes 8-6-2 rainbow, you can easily bet the $20 continuation with your KQ and take it down right there.

Eventually some guys will fight back and call. If the turn comes out blank, I typically slow down and just check it through hoping to hit the river. But let's say the turn came out K or Q. You fire out for $40 on the turn and now they are in a world of hurt trying to figure out if you hit or not. For that same reason, I would fire that turn barrel if it was an Ace because that's another scary card to your opponent that appears to connect with the "big hands" that you open to $15 with. I will also fire the second barrel if I pick up a draw with 8 outs or more (flush draw or OESD). This is because usually you'll take it down with the second turn barrel and in the event that you don't you still have the backup plan of hitting your big hand and then fire a value bet on the river and can get paid big.

When you do hit the flush and guys are holding stuff like TPTK or two pair, most will not be able to fold with such a huge juicy pot out there. They hate the idea that you might be triple barrel bluffing them off their hand and will call to "keep you honest" or they need to "see it to believe it".

Anyways all that stuff was pretty long -- it's my way of playing 1/2. Again, not a huge winner but I was up a net $2,150 over
330 hours of play last year, so I think it's a good strategy.

Comments