Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

I bluff the River after PF aggressor checks Flop & Turn

deadinaditchdeadinaditch Posts: 245Subscriber
edited November 2018 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
$1/$2/$5 $700 eff

It's a straddled pot and I open to $20 UTG with 4 4
It folds to the Button (~$1k a decent lag who is table aware) makes it $70 and I make the call. Ordinarily I'd just let this go but he's a capable player who likes to mix it up so I kind of look at this as a standard HU situation where I'm continuing with any decent hand. 44 isn't great but it fits the bill. Pot is exactly $140 after the rake.

Flop Q 8 6 We both check

Turn is A I glance up at him and do a slow check. He thinks for a second and again checks back.

River A This seems like a perfect opportunity to take a stab. After checking both the flop and turn it looks like he has something like JJ or TT. Is that too tight a range to put him on? I think if he had been making a move PF he would have CBet the flop. I would.

I bet $150. Was this ill advised and if we make this play what should our bet size be?

Comments

• SonnySonny Posts: 390Subscriber
    I think it depends on what you think his preflop 3 betting range is. If he is a tighter player and only 3 bets 1010+ and AQ+ preflop, then yeah its probably an ill advised bet on the river. The Ace hits his flop check back range pretty good. What hands is he checking back on the flop after 3 betting pre? Probably AK, AJ hands like that.
    Now if he is capable of 3 betting 9,10 suited or something like that, than we can just check and may have the best hand here sometimes anyway.
    Even if he does have JJ or 1010, the way you played it, by checking flop and turn would make me think that you don't have a Queen or an Ace and might look you up with 1010 or JJ.
    I think your sizing looks suspect. If you are trying to rep 3 Aces you probably bet less than full pot. Your river bet is polarized. Which is fine, but people look for reasons to call and a polarized bet is a reason someone might try to bluff catch.
    I dont necessarly think its a bad bluff, but I thi k it highly depends on our opponent. Also, we dont block anything so I think that makes it a little less of a profitable bluff.
  • Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,115Administrator, LeadPro
    Just because he checks back the turn doesn't mean that he doesnt have an ace. I think this bluff is ok but I would try a more efficient sizing of maybe $85.
  • deadinaditchdeadinaditch Posts: 245Subscriber
    edited November 2018
    quote="Sonny;114616"]I think it depends on what you think his preflop 3 betting range is. If he is a tighter player and only 3 bets 1010+ and AQ+ preflop, then yeah its probably an ill advised bet on the river. The Ace hits his flop check back range pretty good. What hands is he checking back on the flop after 3 betting pre? Probably AK, AJ hands like that.
    Now if he is capable of 3 betting 9,10 suited or something like that, than we can just check and may have the best hand here sometimes anyway.
    Even if he does have JJ or 1010, the way you played it, by checking flop and turn would make me think that you don't have a Queen or an Ace and might look you up with 1010 or JJ.
    I think your sizing looks suspect. If you are trying to rep 3 Aces you probably bet less than full pot. Your river bet is polarized. Which is fine, but people look for reasons to call and a polarized bet is a reason someone might try to bluff catch.]

Villain was a reasonably good player for this limit. He plays slightly too many hand and does cold call some pretty large pf bets with a wide but not hopless range. He also 3bets a good bit so I don't think he has just QQ+ or AK. never have a queen here but you dont think I can credibly rep an Ace? Hmm, well that's what I was going for and to be honest I think I would play AK much the same.
    Bart wrote: »
    Just because he checks back the turn doesn't mean that he doesnt have an ace. I think this bluff is ok but I would try a more efficient sizing of maybe $85.
    No it doesn't and he did slow play a flopped set of kings earlier and dropped the hammer on the river so I was a bit weary that he could be doing it this time.

I bet big to try to shake loose JJ or TT which are the only hands that made much sense to me after the flop and turn checkbacks but both you and Sonny seem to agree that it did look suspicious but I do think that to him I have an ace here quite often. I did raise UTG but ultimately the bet size was my main concern.

He tanked for about a minute and eventually called with QQ of all things. Crazy huh. He said he was never considering folding but was merely debating whether to raise. He wasn't afraid of AA but figured that he wouldnt get called by anything worse. I'm not so sure though. Clearly I would never call with 44 but I might have called with any Ace, Kings or even a Queen.