Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Should I be leading from upfront in multiway pot with overfull?

1/2 w/ 5$ bring in PLO
1k effective

btn opens for 20 after a few limps
i call in SB w/ 77xx (can't remember my other cards sorry)
6 ways to flop (120$)

flop comes 5 7 5:r:

I decide to lead for 100$. My thinking is that if someone has a 5 they are not going to fold for one bet, and with so many people left behind me, one of them will likely have a 5. Also if it gets checked through I am giving a free card to anyone with an overpair to hit a higher full house.

Everyone ended up folding, and afterwards two of the players who folded both said they folded a 5 (one of them said he showed the dealer A5 and the dealer confirmed). If I am not able to get value from trips in this spot than what can I get value from? This made me rethink my decision to lead out. If I look that strong leading from up front maybe I should just check everything. I should add I don't really have a nitty image in general, and dont think i did at this point.

I think if I check it is likely someone who has a 5 will bet. I really don't have too much experience playing PLO, though I seem to always hear the advise to never slowplay. This is probably to much of a generalization - maybe this is a spot were slowplaying or check raising would show a much better profit.

Would you of check in this spot? How would you play this board if you had A5, or 75? are you just check folding a wrap or are you ever using that as a semibluff to balance people possibly overfolding to you in this spot?
Tagged:

Comments

• CycleVCycleV Posts: 1,196Subscriber
    I'm wondering what your image may have been, since like you said, people don't usually fold A5 in this spot.

FWIW unless your hand was super sexy like 9877ds or at least A77x with a nut suit, 77xx is kinda trash imo. I got some feedback a couple months ago, I had something like 6654 with a suit, and guys here let me know it's not nearly as good as it looks. So if you are basically playing pocket 7s, I'm muck without blinking.
  • Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,109Administrator, LeadPro
    edited August 2018
    Brickowski wrote: »
    1/2 w/ 5$ bring in PLO
    1k effective

btn opens for 20 after a few limps
    i call in SB w/ 77xx (can't remember my other cards sorry)
    6 ways to flop (120$)

flop comes 5 7 5:r:

I decide to lead for 100$. My thinking is that if someone has a 5 they are not going to fold for one bet, and with so many people left behind me, one of them will likely have a 5. Also if it gets checked through I am giving a free card to anyone with an overpair to hit a higher full house.

Everyone ended up folding, and afterwards two of the players who folded both said they folded a 5 (one of them said he showed the dealer A5 and the dealer confirmed). If I am not able to get value from trips in this spot than what can I get value from? This made me rethink my decision to lead out. If I look that strong leading from up front maybe I should just check everything. I should add I don't really have a nitty image in general, and dont think i did at this point.

I think if I check it is likely someone who has a 5 will bet. I really don't have too much experience playing PLO, though I seem to always hear the advise to never slowplay. This is probably to much of a generalization - maybe this is a spot were slowplaying or check raising would show a much better profit.

Would you of check in this spot? How would you play this board if you had A5, or 75? are you just check folding a wrap or are you ever using that as a semibluff to balance people possibly overfolding to you in this spot?

Villain in a bomb pot last night led out from the sb with 88 on 8 :s: 7 7 :s: and got paid to the max by some stooge on the button (yours truly) who flopped 87.
  • iamalliniamallin Posts: 1,173Subscriber, Professional
    As cycle said, 77xx is not a very good hand multiway specially from SB. You don't remember your side cards means they were not very good lol.

As you can see, even when you flopped the world you got no action. And many times you will flop bottom set and be getting coolered.
  • FreeLunchFreeLunch Posts: 1,311Pro
    My general advise is static board smaller bets. It increases the chance you get called by worse and increase your ability to take down these kinds of boards with more frequent bluffs.
  • High__RollaHigh__Rolla Posts: 798Subscriber
    I like the lead here, but strongly agree with FreeLunch that you should size down to half pot or less. When you do this, you may be surprised at how wide opponents will call unless your image is very tight. Folks with 986x, 864x, and broadway overpair may find it hard to fold for such a cheap bet. But, they are drawing slim/dead. You can then re-evaluate OTT.

Its unfortunate that two opponents allegedly folded 5xxx, but I'd rarely err on the side of building a pot (and a c/r might really scare them). Is your image very tight and/or are they just nits perhaps?
  • BrickowskiBrickowski Posts: 36Subscriber
    I like the lead here, but strongly agree with FreeLunch that you should size down to half pot or less. When you do this, you may be surprised at how wide opponents will call unless your image is very tight. Folks with 986x, 864x, and broadway overpair may find it hard to fold for such a cheap bet. But, they are drawing slim/dead. You can then re-evaluate OTT.

Its unfortunate that two opponents allegedly folded 5xxx, but I'd rarely err on the side of building a pot (and a c/r might really scare them). Is your image very tight and/or are they just nits perhaps?

No my image is not generally that tight and I don't think it was when this happened. Both opponents who folded a 5 (i believe both of them) are actually fairly active players. That's part of what made me really question this spot. I think I just looked incredibly strong leading almost full pot into 5 other players and they figured I'd have zero bluffs in this spot. Leading for half pot like you suggested might be better than c/c or c/r. Would you ever lead draws(wraps) here or only value?
  • FreeLunchFreeLunch Posts: 1,311Pro
    Would we ever lead draws on a paired board you mean? Yes , 1/3 pot, but as a bluff. The whole point of the small sizing on static boards is that you also get to bluff those boards.