Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Monster Stack - Trips on Flush Board Multiway

dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,060Subscriber
$1500 Monster Stack at WSOP
Day 1 Shortly Before Dinner Break
Table is tough. A few known names, and other solid players. Only one spot (not in the hand).

UTG (18K) - Pretty tight and aggressive, but might be a bit too tight on later streets.
Hero UTG2 (22K) - Probably seen as a nit. Been card dead and haven't played many hands.
MP1 (80K) - Vivek Rajkumar - hasn't been at table long, but is probably playing 90% of hands. Playing very splashy and aggressively postflop, getting a lot of folds.
BB (25K) - Russell Rosenblum - playing solid, not getting out of line.

Blinds 200/400/a50
UTG opens to 1000. Hero calls next to act with A Q. MP1 calls. BB calls.
Pot 4500. Flop Q :s: 7 :s: 6. BB checks. UTG bets 2100. Hero calls. MP1 folds. BB tanks and calls.
Pot 10800. Turn 9 :s:. BB checks. UTG checks. Hero checks.
Pot 10800. River Q. BB checks. UTG checks. Hero?

(Bet sizes and stack sizes approximate. Hand was from over a week ago...)

Thoughts on all streets, and what to do on the river? I discussed this hand with @thehammah and @scourrge shortly afterwards, but wanted to get more thoughts. Seemed a bit like a "value vs. stack preservation in tournaments" discussion...

Comments

• JustfourfunJustfourfun Posts: 200Subscriber
    I would play this hand more aggressively. Image can certainly be dynamic and since your image is tight I would certainly consider a 3! Pre flop. You flatted pre that’s fine. I would not flat again on the flop. You hit that flop hard. Wet board. Hitting a Q here much better than hitting your A. I would raise UTG’s flop bet up to 6000. I am guessing that this hand did not turn out well for you and that the BB hit a set otf or hit a flush or straight on the turn. By the river you are certainly betting. 3000-4000 river bet.
    Thanked by 1Latrell1515
  • JwhooverJwhoover Posts: 20Subscriber
    edited November 2018
    I hate the above advice, raising this flop doesn’t do much but inflate the pot and make it harder to play on later streets. I shouldn’t say hate but if we are 8-10 handd I am not 3 betting this without relative position or trying to build an image. I like the flop call and turn check. Again if we were 6 handed I could get behind a 5k raise otf check back turn re evaluate river, but assuming the is 9 handed I like it as played.

Since MP! Is out of he hand I like betting 5500ish sucks if we get raised I think we can just fold. After action and check turn I think our range is for sure capped here with what we have. A bet is pretty face up, but being is position may help us get called by worse. After I think about it a little more I think JJ and KK may end up folding, tough in game decision on what calls us. How did it play out? I dont hate a check, but surely there is value here, I would chalk it up to opponent based vs bad players im betting every time, probably mix checking and betting vs good players based on my image at the time.
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,060Subscriber
    Hand was from the World Series this summer. I don't remember my exact sizing, but I did bet very small for value from UTGs probable AA/KK, maybe something like 3500. @thehammah thought I could go even smaller, but @scourrge liked my sizing.
    BB calls. UTG folds. Hero loses to a baby flush, 3 :s: 5 :s: if I recall.
  • JwhooverJwhoover Posts: 20Subscriber
    I like it, thats my ultimate thought try to get called by AA/KK