Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Minimum range to cold call 50 BB preflop jam

workinghardworkinghard Posts: 1,573Subscriber
3/5 player is steaming after loosing most of his money. He has around $250 and has been pre flop jamming about 50% with everyone folding every time thus far. What's the minimum range of hands, pairs and non pairs, that you're calling with? He is on my immediate right so I have the worse relative position.
Tagged:

Comments

• RagingOwlRagingOwl Posts: 172Member
    It depends on a lot of things, and even then, the answer probably isn't static.

50% seems pretty loose, but could just be a sample size problem. I think its safe to assume his range will tighten up as his stack creeps up after scooping multiple small pots. Let's give him this range. It's 33% of hands.

22+,A2s+,K5s+,QTs+,J9s+,T8s+,97s+,86s+,75s+,65s,54s,A2o+,KTo+,QTo+,JTo,T9o

Now the question is, how much equity do you want? I picked this range as a starting point:

99+,ATs+,KQs,AQo+

That range is about a 2 to 1 favorite against the villain. If you don't mind the variance, obviously you can call wider. Depending on how much dead money might be in the middle (unlikely for you directly to his left), you might only need a little less than 50% to break even. That range might look like:

22+,A2s+,K5s+,Q9s+,J9s+,T8s+,97s+,86s+,75s+,65s,54s,43s,32s,A2o+,K9o+,Q9o+,J9o+,T9o,98o,87o,76o,65o,54o

A happy medium, which has you as a 3 to 2 (60/40) favorite

88+,ATs+,A5s-A2s,KTs+,QJs,ATo+,KQo
  • neverlearn2neverlearn2 Posts: 2,862Subscriber
    live rec? probaby AJo+ 88+ or slightly higher
    Thanked by 1fozbo
  • workinghardworkinghard Posts: 1,573Subscriber
    you might only need a little less than 50% to break even.

remember though, there are other opponents in the hand. I have to act before they act on their hands.
  • CycleVCycleV Posts: 1,196Subscriber
    Really depends on how many left to act behind us, and my stack size, theirs. Assuming we're all around 100-150BB, for me, it's somewhere around ATs/AJo or 77, but if I'm coming in, I'm raising, not calling, unless I have a monster and am trapping.