Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Colossus Mixed Feelings.

Jack7777Jack7777 Posts: 655Subscriber
I never played the Colossus. First year, I didn't want to go near the Rio. This year, I'm thinking about it as a warmup for the Millionaire Maker. The problem is the low payouts. In order to win as much as in a cash game, You have to play damn good tournament poker for nearly two days.

Comments

• wildncrazyguywildncrazyguy Posts: 422Subscriber
    edited June 2018
    Tournaments are a crap shoot. Its a shot. You're going for serious money and hoping for it. I played a multi day tourney, 1k buy in and got knocked out 43 and there were 600 entrants. I got 2200. So what's the point for 2 days right? Well top place was 130k. They're all about trying to hit a big payday to get a real bankroll. Shot taking honestly. Real living is playing cash but we all shot take in hopes of a big score. What tournaments are in my opinion. More luck involved in tournaments but a chance to win serious money.
    Thanked by 2Jack7777 CycleV
  • Jack7777Jack7777 Posts: 655Subscriber
    edited June 2018
    @wildncrazyguy I get what you are saying. I guess it's part of a process of selection and how best to use your time. I think the play in the Colossus could be kind of wild, especially early. A lot of people come in planning to fire a pistol full of bullets. So, it may start as a shove fest. I saw where last year, some guy fired a dozen bullets. In order to cash $6800, he would have had to finish 90th out of 18,000 players. That's better than the top 1%.

I think you have to use your time and resources wisely. I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, I just think you could have a much better chance to make money in other tournaments. The Colossus draws way too many shot takers who might call off their stack on a gut shot and crack your made hand to boot you out of the tournament.
  • alambic49alambic49 Posts: 87Subscriber
    The colossus is a lottery, but a fun one!
    Thanked by 2Jack7777 CycleV
    alambic49 wrote: »
    The colossus is a lottery, but a fun one!
    I like that. Means I got a chance!!

:cool:
    Thanked by 1alambic49
  • CycleVCycleV Posts: 1,196Subscriber
    Jack7777 wrote: »
    In order to win as much as in a cash game, You have to be lucky as fuck for nearly two days.

FYP.

Run good!
    edited June 2018
    Well, I decided to play it. I started late, I honestly did not play my best. I came in with 5K. In a little over a hour, I had 19K. I was limping and min-raising taking off pots. The shoving had already started because of the small starting stacks. I knocked a couple of players out, then a wheel flew off. Instead of stopping to repair my ride, I kept my foot on the gas. I got in a three way to eliminate two players where I had top pp. I got the largest stack, but the smaller stack ran out four cards to hit a straight. So, the shorter stack gets the main pot with the blinds. The other stack I beat was 10K, I ended up just winning a few chips over those I risked. I went too deep on a hand. Then got wasted on a 47.5 v 52.5 flip, two suited b'way connectors vs 99. Bye Bye, see you later Jack.